show girl question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kelliepulido, Aug 2, 2008.

1. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    So if you get show girl eggs to incubate is there just a 50% or so chance that they are actually show girls could they be nn or silkies? And if you breed show girl to show girl is there still just a higher percent chance of getting show girls but still could get silkie or nn?

2. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Right, you have it clear. Breeders have better quality birds when breeding Showgirls to Silkies. SG x SG will bring out too many of the NN traits and you will get a high percentage of non Silkie feathered birds. I've had my best luck with a SG rooster over Silkie hens. In that mating you will get about a 50/50 split of SGs and Silkies.

3. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Quote:Breeding sg x sg will NOT give you ANY smooth feathered birds. Silkie feathering is recessive, so breeding sg x sg would give you 100% silkie feathering.
    If your sgs are heterozygous for the nn gene (one copy) and you breed them with another het sg you would get: 25% silkie (no nn gene), 50% het sg (1 copy), and 25% homozygous sg (2 copies).
    If you breed a het sg x silkie you would get 50% silkie, 50% het sg.
    If you breed a silkie to a homo sg you'll get 100% het sg. het sg x homo sg will produce 50% het sg, 50% homo sg.

The way you can tell whether the sg is het or homo for the nn gene is to see if it has a "bowtie": if it does, its heterozygous, and if it doesn't, its homozygous.

If you're looking to improve type, I'd suggest breeding a sg to a good silkie and going from there [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by