Show me a picture of your winterized/covered run!

My covered run is 4'x15' for my four chickens. I used four 26"x8' sunblock vinyl panels (Sedona Brick) with 2" overlap on the centerline. I built it 15' long so that I could overlap panels in the middle and also have a few inches of over hang at the end. Cross supports are every two feet.

I don't get snow around here, but lots of rain...my run is built strong with lots of 2"x4"'s. If I lived where it snowed, then I would use metal roofing instead of plastic.

--Hugh

IMG_0802.jpg

712020884_dXwuo-L.jpg

I was lucky one day a few months ago. My friend had bought a new home that the previous owner had put a metal carport out to the side because there was no garage. I was going by his house one morning and stopped when I saw him in his yard. He told me he was going to build an attached garage and would I help him take down the carport when it was done. Well, I jumped on that one. The thing was about a year old when we took it down. He was just going to call a metal dealer and give it to them to take away. It took an entire day to disassemble it and reassemble it on my property. Once up I moved my coop that I had an attached run with tarps into it and my gals have been most happy ever since. The above pic is the day after the almost four days of rain blown in by Hurricane Ida when it came through the Carolinas a few weeks ago. Everything outside the carport/run was a muddy mess but my gals kept their tootsies clean. I'd hate to think what it would have been like if they'd been in the old run. When I set it up I brought in a load of Crush 'n Run and layed it down, then about five tons of creek sand which gave me a base of more than three inches. I keep it turned up at least once a week which turns in their poop and brings up worms. Now the girls fight to get in line behind me when the see me coming with a hoe in my hand.
smile.png

Incidently, that's Khaos our boxer who is their sole protector. The Gals are telling him that he's so handsome and would he mind opening the gate for them so they can get out.
lol.png

Last edited:
My run is made of 2 by 4 welded wire, top and sides. I simply ordered a clear tarp (online) and fastened it over the top with bungees. It works well here as we don't have a lot of snow. Last year, we did have several days with snow and I had to go out and break/pull it off, which was kind of a pain, but unusual. Thought I had a pic, but I can't find it, one of these days....When it snows I also put boards along the windward side to keep it out of the run for their precious little chicken feet.

Back
Top Bottom