Show me your breeder pens

Sorry I don't have pictures but I do have a barn. I have 4, 10X12 coops and 1, 7X7 coop in the barn. One coop is for the RC RIRs. One coop is set up for the bantam egg layers (non breeders) and broodies. One coop is set up with the bantam cochin girls that will be used for breeding. One coop is set up for the girls that I want hatching eggs from, those who have been in the breeding pen with Mr. Right. The 7X7 coop is the breeding pen. I have large dog crates set up for the bantam cochin boys. I swear they have learned to say "it's my turn".
lau.gif

If you have enough room for a separate coop for each rooster and his hens that is great. My coops, or pens, are built right next to each other so the center wall works for both pens. I used the back wall of the barn as the back wall to the coops so I just had to add the center walls and the fronts to each pen. Just make sure the pens are large enough for the number of chickens you will be housing in them. I started out with the walls 6 foot tall but ended up adding on because those little banties can fly right over 6 foot walls. Each coop, or pen, has nesting boxes and roosts. I use the deep litter method for warmth in the winter. I didn't have room to build a feed room but did have enough room for a chest freezer to store the feed in, it is mouse proof. I suggest you take some measurements and start drawing out plans on paper. I changed my plans so many times I am glad all I had to do is get another piece of paper. Once you have everything worked out, start building.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom