Show Me Your Feeders!!

Pics
That's the winter storms we had recently. The meteorologists kept calling them that. I guess it sounds better than Winter Apocalypse.
lau.gif
and yet also....
th.gif
It snowed again here today...

Here is my JetDog/YouTube knockoff.

Current feeder

New Feeder

Inside view

If you made these with 2" instead of 3" I think 4 would work out just about right.

Feeder Font

Here is a shot with the modifications. I added a piece of PVC on the bottom that replaced the piece I cut away and also added a small dam in the front that has eliminated them pulling feed out. Since I modified the feeder I do not see any feed on the ground.

I have been using for 6 months now and like all aspects of this feeder. I'm fixing to build another one and thought I'd update with a couple changes I'll make. I'll use 4" fittings (I used 3" on the first one). I considered even trying 2" but after some use realize the error of that thought. The question was asked, 'will high-combed birds not use it?' Yes they will they simply drag their combs back and forth through the opening until it bleeds. Unless you only have bantam/frizzle sized birds I'd strongly recommend 4". I will put a 1" wide strip of see-through plastic in the side of the bucket to be able to monitor feed level - it matters. I installed the "clean-out" fitting in the lid for the first bucket (adds to expense). I will install it again and it will be the next larger size if that is an option. Not having to "fiddle" with the buckets lid/latching when refilling is worth it for me. In my rainy/humid environment this feeder has outperformed all home-made and purchased feeders I have tried before this. After the first bucket I considered more than two openings on future buckets -- at this point I feel I'll only use two. More openings is more area for feed to "age" faster. I'd have as many as 10 birds feeding through this 2 font system and there was no bickering/squabbling to speak of. Even with the 3" fonts it was not uncommon to see two birds with their heads in each side eating. It is definitely more work to "slap" together than some other feeders out there but if you're thinking about it and wondering it is definitely worth the extra time and effort.

Believe it or not this works very well. I have used a store bought feeder like this one
shopping
and they just kept spreading the feed everywhere.

They also got bigger and I wanted something to hold more feed. This is a protein mix jug
500.JPG
I think it was this brand that you can find at Walmart. It had a plastic label that wasn't even glued on I just cut it and peeled it off and a large cheesecake lid. I put 3 toggle type drywall anchors
11K317_AS01.JPG
through the bottom of the container to secure the cheesecake lid to the container. I cut out small rectangular holes around the bottom to let the feed dispense with gravity. I made the holes small so they would have to peck for the feed. It helps with their natural instincts. I have one girl who will sometimes flick some feed out, but she quickly tires of it. I think the depth of the lid and th amount of space between the jar and the lid discourages this behavior.
I fill the container 2 times a week for 6 chickens. You are supposed to wash out your feeders at least 1 time per week.
I hang it from the ceiling so they don't roost ontop, I also leave the lid on.

Last edited:
I recently made a PVC feeder, using the pipe and the "wye" configuration like the one shown in the post by jimmywalt above, and installed it today. the girls took to it right away, BUT within 20 minutes they had ALL the feed flung out on the floor! This was worse than the little tray feeder I'd been using!

I raised it up on a brick to make it higher, thinking that might be the problem. Any other suggestions for how to limit the food loss?

Thank you!

Last edited:
I recently made a PVC feeder, using the pipe and the "wye" configuration like the one shown in the post by jimmywalt above, and installed it today. the girls took to it right away, BUT within 20 minutes they had ALL the feed flung out on the floor! This was worse than the little tray feeder I'd been using!

I raised it up on a brick to make it higher, thinking that might be the problem. Any other suggestions for how to limit the food loss?

Thank you!
The modified 90 degree street elbow design works really well. No waste at all in all the ones I've built. You can make a feeder with multiple feeder ports with a 5 gallon bucket. It takes some tools and time, but it's worth it in the long run.

In my little video I show a feeder that I made. There is virtually no waste at all with this feeder. I think part of the success is the small opening in the part where they eat. Here's a link to the video. Enjoy!

Jimmy, some of us country boys don't even have one of those smart I-apple phone things with a camera in it, LOL, my phone still plugs in the wall and the wire ain't long enough to reach the chicken coop.  My other camera is busted and Have you tried to find someone to develop KodaChrome color film these days?  After that I got to try and figure out a way to put them pictures in this computer so they run down the wire to your house where you can see em along with those folks in Kalifornia and New York City.  Them New York City folks couldn't raise no chickens anyway.

(I'm really not that much country, I'm just struggling to live on disability and don't have any spare money).

I've got to build a friend of mine a feeder in the next few days and will try and get some pics of the complete project then.

loneoak and to all similiar-thinking folk:
first off, have you been to nyc and met the GIGANTIC chicken-keeping communities in brooklyn,bronx, upstate, and long island? and exotic animal keepers everywhere here?? YALL aint the only people good at most things. in nyc we are a very intelligent , fast-learning and technically advanced society-the problem isnt that we city folk are too stupid or larger than life to know anything about throwing eggs into a hova bator or feeding a goat hay, its the stupid politicians, local laws and zoning laws that ban us from having, yes, what most of you have had for multi-generations: acreage, most livestock, freedom in general, etc. but dont cry for us-we flout around the laws so we can have a little fun raising our flocks in apartments and forget to buy that silly $50 yearly game breeders license. anything YOU want to know in case a relative breaks tradition and moves the big city, youll need us unempathetic and tablet-faced folk to walk you through tough neighborhoods while we are adding water and turning our eggs...

loneoak and to all similiar-thinking folk:
first off, have you been to nyc and met the GIGANTIC chicken-keeping communities in brooklyn,bronx, upstate, and long island? and exotic animal keepers everywhere here?? YALL aint the only people good at most things. in nyc we are a very intelligent , fast-learning and technically advanced society-the problem isnt that we city folk are too stupid or larger than life to know anything about throwing eggs into a hova bator or feeding a goat hay, its the stupid politicians, local laws and zoning laws that ban us from having, yes, what most of you have had for multi-generations: acreage, most livestock, freedom in general, etc. but dont cry for us-we flout around the laws so we can have a little fun raising our flocks in apartments and forget to buy that silly $50 yearly game breeders license. anything YOU want to know in case a relative breaks tradition and moves the big city, youll need us unempathetic and tablet-faced folk to walk you through tough neighborhoods while we are adding water and turning our eggs...

stormseeker, I have to agree with you that the politicians are most definitely the biggest problem we all face. That entire post was meant to just be a funny jest towards no one in particular while reminiscing about how easier life was when I was young. It wasn't my intentions to call anyone out and say they lacked abilities to raise chickens. I could have used Atlanta, Boston or even the entire population of intown Cobb Ct here in the Atlanta Metro that can't raise chickens in their backyards (because of stupid zoning laws), as an example of folks who can't raise chickens. It was all just a joke pointed at no one in particular. I would love to get a chance to come visit the big city and take a tour with you to see how ya'll raise your birds and gather your eggs.

Back
Top Bottom