Show Me Your Feeders!!

Pics
JimmyWalt...
I saw your post regarding the feeder you built from 3" PVC. It looked like a good idea, so I hit my local Lowes yesterday & came home with the makings. Only thing I changed was the size of the pipe; went with 4" instead of 3" based on a comment I saw later saying the larger opening would keep roosters from dragging their combs & waddles.

I put it in service today. It took the birds about 5 minutes to figure it out, then they went to town on it. Didn't take them long to have feed scattered all over the ground, as you can see! They don't have to stick their heads in very far at all to reach the feed; it's laying right out there in front of them.

I don't understand why the larger diameter would make a difference. You have any thoughts?

Ok newbie here!! I made the bucket feeder with street elbows. Used 2 elbows, I put the skinny side out so I can use PVC caps on them at night to keep out water from sprinkler system & mice.

My question is...of my 5 hens 2 have it all figured out & the other 3 no so much. I just placed it yesterday evening. Any suggestions or should I worry?
I wouldn't worry; the slower ones will figure it out. Actually, since you posted this a while back, they probably did already.

Good idea, Ron; I'll do that tomorrow. I had to cut about 6" off the top of the pipe anyway, so I had clearance under the wire & tarp over the run to fill the tube.

Last edited:
@jetdog do the pvc elbows need any special cuts on the inside for the food to flow into them? I think this is the type of feeder i want to make, but i want to do it right, lol!

Yes the "5 gallon bucket feeder" uses ONLY a 90 degree elbow that's 3/4" off the bottom of the bucket. Cut the end of the elbow off at the red line (see pic below) and stick the CUT END into the bucket and about 3/4" off the bottom. Silicone around inside and out, put the top on the bucket and you're set!

I think that the conversation about the "Y" is for an entirely different feeder.

Here's what she looks like....... and let me say..... the is the ABSOLUTE BEST feeder there is. No waste (at all) and only need to fill it about 1 time per month (for 5 chickens). It holds about 25 lbs of food!

Looks like this post answered my questions! Thanks so much!!!

Looks  like this post answered my questions! Thanks so much!!!

Just FYI I've made 4 or 5 of these and never used silicon around it. Mine are in a covered area tho. Maybe this is for a water barrier? Otherwise if you cut the hole right it'll never come out

I know this is an old post, but if you are still around, could you tell me how many you have out for 8 birds? We are just getting 8 set up and I am wondering how many I will need as I assume only 1 can eat at a time. Thank you!

I know this is an old post, but if you are still around, could you tell me how many you have out for 8 birds? We are just getting 8 set up and I am wondering how many I will need as I assume only 1 can eat at a time. Thank you!

If you have the room I would use one of these. I made two of these and they are currently feeding 20 birds no problem. Once filled they will hold 60 - 75 pounds of feed. I only fill mine maybe once a month. If you have 8 birds this would feed 6 at a time and last a long time.

Back
Top Bottom