Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

@Swiss, I know you are still working on your coop, but I was wondering what you are going to use for the flooring inside?

I used particle board similar to what it appears to me that you put in your coop. My flooring held up well for about 4 years with cheap linoleum on top of it. But recently part of my flooring got soft around the waterer I have inside the coop. I will have to patch that up with some new flooring.

I have been considering my options. When I bought my coop linoleum, I got a large 12X8 foot end piece for about 24 cents per square foot. But now the price of the cheapest linoleum at Menards is $0.60 per square foot. I don't know if I want to put another $58.00 into the linoleum flooring.

One of the main reasons I went with linoleum was because it would have a smooth surface and I could easily shovel or broom out the old coop litter when it needed to be replaced. It was good for that, at first, but over the years the chickens have managed to rip up spots in the linoleum and that idea of a smooth floor surface is no longer in play.

One option that some people recommend is using BlackJack #57 roof coating...

1712802426590.png

A 5-gallon bucket of that stuff will set you back about $58.00 as well. But, if you get a rip or crack in the rubber coating, you can just clean it out and slap in some new coating over it.

The third option I have been considering for the flooring in my coop is to just lay down some pallet wood and/or plywood tops that I have salvaged from some of my pallet pick ups. Don't even bother with any linoleum or BlackJack coating. Just treat the pallet wood as sacrificial and replace it if/when needed to protect the particle board flooring.

Considering how much pallet wood and plywood tops I have saved up, that last option seems to me to the best at this time for me. It won't be a smooth floor if I patch in all kinds of pallet wood, but in reality, I only clean up my deep bedding litter in the coop twice a year.

Anyways, I was wondering if or how you are going to protect your coop floor. From my limited experience, that flooring will need some kind of protection or it will rot out fast. Thought I would ask because I also have to repair my coop flooring this summer.

@Swiss, I know you are still working on your coop, but I was wondering what you are going to use for the flooring inside?

I used particle board similar to what it appears to me that you put in your coop. My flooring held up well for about 4 years with cheap linoleum on top of it. But recently part of my flooring got soft around the waterer I have inside the coop. I will have to patch that up with some new flooring.

I have been considering my options. When I bought my coop linoleum, I got a large 12X8 foot end piece for about 24 cents per square foot. But now the price of the cheapest linoleum at Menards is $0.60 per square foot. I don't know if I want to put another $58.00 into the linoleum flooring.

One of the main reasons I went with linoleum was because it would have a smooth surface and I could easily shovel or broom out the old coop litter when it needed to be replaced. It was good for that, at first, but over the years the chickens have managed to rip up spots in the linoleum and that idea of a smooth floor surface is no longer in play.

One option that some people recommend is using BlackJack #57 roof coating...

View attachment 3797918
A 5-gallon bucket of that stuff will set you back about $58.00 as well. But, if you get a rip or crack in the rubber coating, you can just clean it out and slap in some new coating over it.

The third option I have been considering for the flooring in my coop is to just lay down some pallet wood and/or plywood tops that I have salvaged from some of my pallet pick ups. Don't even bother with any linoleum or BlackJack coating. Just treat the pallet wood as sacrificial and replace it if/when needed to protect the particle board flooring.

Considering how much pallet wood and plywood tops I have saved up, that last option seems to me to the best at this time for me. It won't be a smooth floor if I patch in all kinds of pallet wood, but in reality, I only clean up my deep bedding litter in the coop twice a year.

Anyways, I was wondering if or how you are going to protect your coop floor. From my limited experience, that flooring will need some kind of protection or it will rot out fast. Thought I would ask because I also have to repair my coop flooring this summer.
Currently, the floor isn't done. We used pallet wood as the frame/base for the floor. Our plan is to put plywood on top. Honestly, I haven't thought much further than that, yet. Their water will be kept in the run, so that won't be an issue inside the coop. We do have a couple pieces of linoleum somewhere in the basement that we could use for parts of the coop, but I know how linoleum is with peeling, and I feel it would be too slippery for the chickens.

You've got my wheels turning on what would be a better (and as close to free as possible) option.

Their water will be kept in the run, so that won't be an issue inside the coop.

When I designed my coop, I made it plenty big to have the waterer and the feeder inside the coop. My winters are long, and I wanted the feed and water sheltered from the outside weather. I expected that eventually I might have a problem with the flooring getting wet and would have to be repaired or replaced. I'm at that point now.

Still, for me, it was a better decision to have the waterer inside the coop, on top of a metal base heater, providing drinkable water 24/7 all through my winters. IMHO, there is nothing more important than having fresh water available to the chickens.

Even so, you still need some kind of protection for the flooring. The chicken poo is very wet and that will get down to the wood floor.

We do have a couple pieces of linoleum somewhere in the basement that we could use for parts of the coop, but I know how linoleum is with peeling, and I feel it would be too slippery for the chickens.

I use dry deep bedding in my coop on top of the linoleum. So, the chickens don't actually walk on the linoleum at all. They walk on the bedding which is 3 inch deep or more. The linoleum is only there to protect the flooring boards.

You've got my wheels turning on what would be a better (and as close to free as possible) option.

Well, I saw your great pictures on your coop build and thought about that flooring. It's much easier to do something now than to have to clean out the coop and put down some protection later.

I got four years out of my linoleum in the coop. That is about what I expected. Now I have to reconsider all my options to recover the flooring. I am really leaning on just using sacrificial pallet wood or salvaged plywood as a cover for the floor. At least then it would be easy to replace the few boards that might need it down the road.

And, not to make a really big deal out of it, only about 2 square feet of my flooring needs to be repaired.

Anyways, loved your pallet wood coop project and hope you don't mind that I copied your post from the gardening thread over here on this thread. I wanted to talk to you about your wonderful project but not really in the gardening thread.

Also, I think those who read the posts here would be very interested in seeing your pallet wood use in your coop build. I know I was.

Is this under roosts or waterer?

The flooring that needs repair in my coop is a small section around the waterer. Over the years, some water was spilled (mostly by me) when I was refilling the waterer. The chickens ripped up some of the linoleum around the waterer, and that is how the flooring got wet.

I don't have any issues with the flooring underneath the roosts. I use about 3-8 inches of dry deep bedding and the linoleum is still intact in that section.

Having said that, the "wettest" spot in the coop is typically underneath the roosts. But the linoleum there is still intact and has protected the flooring just fine. Without some kind of protection, I am sure the area underneath the roosts would be the most prone to damage.

I am just considering using pallet wood or salvaged plywood as a sacrificial covering for my floorboards to protect them. I have lots of "free" wood that I could use now, and in the future for any repairs if needed. Using pallet wood or pieces of salvaged plywood just would not be a smooth covering like linoleum would provide.

The flooring that needs repair in my coop is a small section around the waterer. Over the years, some water was spilled (mostly by me) when I was refilling the waterer. The chickens ripped up some of the linoleum around the waterer, and that is how the flooring got wet.

I don't have any issues with the flooring underneath the roosts. I use about 3-8 inches of dry deep bedding and the linoleum is still intact in that section.

Having said that, the "wettest" spot in the coop is typically underneath the roosts. But the linoleum there is still intact and has protected the flooring just fine. Without some kind of protection, I am sure the area underneath the roosts would be the most prone to damage.

I am just considering using pallet wood or salvaged plywood as a sacrificial covering for my floorboards to protect them. I have lots of "free" wood that I could use now, and in the future for any repairs if needed. Using pallet wood or pieces of salvaged plywood just would not be a smooth covering like linoleum would provide.

Might make a full clean out bumpy hitting with the shovel
You both got me thinking so I searched HomeDepot and found this High Impact Polystyrene HIPS Sheet. It would probably last forever on the coop floor if you're willing to spend $50 on it. I think it's the stuff that can be put on shower walls.

And like a lot of HomeDepot products, delivery is free.

Screen Shot 2024-04-11 at 1.05.20 PM.png

When I designed my coop, I made it plenty big to have the waterer and the feeder inside the coop. My winters are long, and I wanted the feed and water sheltered from the outside weather. I expected that eventually I might have a problem with the flooring getting wet and would have to be repaired or replaced. I'm at that point now.

Still, for me, it was a better decision to have the waterer inside the coop, on top of a metal base heater, providing drinkable water 24/7 all through my winters. IMHO, there is nothing more important than having fresh water available to the chickens.

Even so, you still need some kind of protection for the flooring. The chicken poo is very wet and that will get down to the wood floor.

I use dry deep bedding in my coop on top of the linoleum. So, the chickens don't actually walk on the linoleum at all. They walk on the bedding which is 3 inch deep or more. The linoleum is only there to protect the flooring boards.

Well, I saw your great pictures on your coop build and thought about that flooring. It's much easier to do something now than to have to clean out the coop and put down some protection later.

I got four years out of my linoleum in the coop. That is about what I expected. Now I have to reconsider all my options to recover the flooring. I am really leaning on just using sacrificial pallet wood or salvaged plywood as a cover for the floor. At least then it would be easy to replace the few boards that might need it down the road.

And, not to make a really big deal out of it, only about 2 square feet of my flooring needs to be repaired.

Anyways, loved your pallet wood coop project and hope you don't mind that I copied your post from the gardening thread over here on this thread. I wanted to talk to you about your wonderful project but not really in the gardening thread.

Also, I think those who read the posts here would be very interested in seeing your pallet wood use in your coop build. I know I was.
Yeah, salvaged plywood was my plan. We have (what feels like) tons, so it would be easy to replace. If I figure something else out, I'll try to remember to share it here.

I don't mind at all! I didn't even think about posting it here. You shared it in a really good way, too. Not pushy or anything like that.

[Using pallet wood and/or salvaged plywood] Might make a full clean out bumpy hitting with the shovel

Yes, that was a big consideration when I first built my coop. However, as I stated, I only clean out the deep bedding twice a year. I might have to use a manure fork or a rake instead of a grain shovel to clean out the coop. Then follow that up with my leaf blower to get the little stuff that might remain. That should clean out everything good enough for a chicken coop.

Actually, even using the flat bottom grain shovel for the past few years, I still used the leaf blower for final cleanup anyways.

:old I have built many structures with floors in them. I always made sure the floors were smooth and level to prevent tripping hazards. So, it's in my nature to build the chicken coop floor smooth and level as well. However, I use deep bedding with about an average of 6 inches of litter in the coop which the chickens will level out themselves. A perfectly smooth floor underneath all that deep bedding is not as vital.

You both got me thinking so I searched HomeDepot and found this High Impact Polystyrene HIPS Sheet. It would probably last forever on the coop floor if you're willing to spend $50 on it. I think it's the stuff that can be put on shower walls.

I checked into that kind of stuff a few years ago. There are different kinds/brands. The ones I looked at were waterproof on one side, the side facing the shower, and they were meant to be installed vertically. I don't think the backside of the product I looked at was waterproof and it was not designed to be used as flooring. I did not think it would work for my coop. But like I said, there are different brands and maybe some would be better than others.

:idunno Well, all that, and frankly, at $50 per sheet it would have cost me $200 just to lay down the floor in my coop. That was a budget buster for me.

Back
Top Bottom