Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

Pics
I don't have time to watch the video, so can you explain what the benefit is to a demolition saw blade?

A demolition blade is made to cut both wood and metal. It has hardened teeth. So, you can use the demolition blade in a circular saw and "safely" cut wood with nails in it. If you are breaking down pallets or working with reclaimed lumber, using a circular saw, the demolition blade in the saw will be able to cut through any nails that might be in the wood.

A wood blade is only meant to cut wood, and if you hit a nail, you will damage or destroy your blade. A metal blade is meant to cut metal, and gums up when you try to cut through wood. Saw blades can be very expensive. Using a $12.00 demolition blade, like the Hercules saw blade from Harbor Freight, to work with your pallet wood or reclaimed lumber is one way to save yourself money in expensive blade replacements.

I uploaded that post because I am working with boards that might have nails in them, and I needed to cut those boards. I don't want to use my expensive wood saw blades which would be damaged/destroyed if it hit any nails. I was passing along info I found online and thought some other people on this thread might be interested in those items.

So, I will be buying a demolition blade when I get a discount coupon from Harbor Freight. I also plan on getting a metal scanner wand to detect hidden nails in the lumber, both pallet wood and my stack of reclaimed lumber. Both items are small investments to potentially save $$$ in damages to my equipment and other blades.

That being said, if you are using full pallets or reclaimed wood without any nails in them, then you probably don't need either the demolition saw blade or the metal scanner wand.

Last edited:
Well guess who is now the proud owner of a $11 magnet sweeper from Harbor Freight! I didn't know this genius contraption existed and we conveniently found ourselves near a Harbor Freight today, so I had to try it. I had the most fun 20 minutes rolling around the yard and found a shameful amount of pallet nails, along with some other treasures. We are relatively new to this property so I can't wait to see what has been left behind here.

:eek: Wow, that really picked up a lot of debris! Just think, one of those nails in your tire would cost about $30 service charge to repair where I live!

⚠️ If it were me, after I swept the lawn for those nails and other metal debris, I would take out a rake and work up the grass and run the magnetic metal sweeper over that area one final time. I use my magnetic sweeper on my gravel driveway, then the rake, and a second sweep with the magnetic sweeper. Sometimes I pick up additional debris. But, I really don't want any nails where we drive our cars. Might not be as important in your grass.

Thanks for the feedback on the Harbor Freight magnetic sweeper. It looks better than the magnet sweeper I bought years ago without any wheels. So, I might get that Harbor Freight sweeper next time I go to town.

⚠️ TIP: Sawzall method to dismantle pallets, with bonus sharpening your blade info ⚠️

OK. Many of you may be using the Sawzall method of dismantling a pallet. That method usually works best to harvest the planks at full length. I used the Sawzall method to quickly break down a pallet and get the planks so I could do a board on board design for a roof, but it works just as well for a board on board wall, too. Sometimes you want those boards as long as you can get them.

I came across a good YouTube video that explains how to use your Sawzall to dismantle a pallet, but it also has a nice bonus section on how to sharpen your blade so you can use it over many times. This person says he gets about 3 pallets broken down with his blade before he needs to sharpen it. But, he shows a many times resharpened blade that he used to break down about 40 pallets on his shed build. That's a lot of cutting on a blade and it could potentially save a person a lot of money. Anyway, I'll link to the full video followed by a link to the point in the video where he shows how to sharpen a blade so you can use it over and over.

Full video here...

Skip to: How to sharpen your recip saw blade for reuse here...

A couple final thoughts on his video... I agree that a Pallet Buster/Pallet Pal is not a very good tool. I built one myself, but like he says, you end up busting more wood using the Pallet Buster because most of the pallets I get have planks flush with the 2X4 edge, with no overhang, so the Pallet Buster cannot pry up both ends of the wood - that causes all the force on one side and breaks and splits the wood. I don't use my Pallet Buster very often.

Having said that, sometimes you get the perfect pallet for the Pallet Buster and then it works great. In my case, maybe 1 out of 20 pallets.

One thing I have never liked about the Sawzall method is that it leaves cut off nails buried in the 2X4 stretchers. In his case, he tosses the 2X4's. I try to use all my pallet wood. It's best to use those 2X4's from the Sawzall method in projects that you don't have to cut the wood (because of the embedded cut off nails). If you do need to cut the 2X4's with nails in them, then it's probably best to get one of the demolition saw blades I talked about a few posts back. Well, that's what I'm planning on doing anyway. I hate to throw out useable wood.

The pallet shed is officially done! It took 3 full days to build and hang the doors because nothing is square, but we got them to be functional. A small cinder block is used to keep the bottom of the doors flush with the frame to help prevent critters from squeezing inside. We were quick to start embellishing and one day I hope to build an old west false front with more pallets to finish the western feel. For now though, a long break from pallet work!
That looks amazing 😍! Seriously good job there!
I get lots of inspirations from pics uploaded by everyone.

:caf I hope the southern people will continue the pics and pallet projects while those of us up north buckle down for the winter... In a few weeks, it will be pretty much wait until April before I start any new projects.

Yes, I think turning the chicken run into a composting system just makes so much sense for many of us. My chicken run composting system has so much compost ready to harvest, that I never worry about trying to speed up the process in the chicken run or my other compost bins.

I really like that board on board look for some projects. And, how easy is it? Took me almost no time to make a roof for my pallet wood storage bin using that board on board method. Looks great as a wall covering, too. Very nice.

I have 5 pallet compost bins where I dump organic stuff that I don't want to toss into my chicken run composting system. Usually overflow grass clippings, leaves, and the occasional moldy food that we "found" shoved in the back of the refrigerator.

In my case, I just fill up one compost bin, then start another, and so on. I never bother to turn the piles, because I just don't need to speed up the natural process. By the time I fill up the fifth bin, the first bin is more than ready to harvest and I just start all over again.

Just want to mention that many YouTuber's with livestock rotate their chicken tractors or free range chickens a day or two behind their cows and horses. Evidently, the chickens love to tear apart the cow and horse manure looking for bugs and worms to eat. In the process, they also spread the manure and fertilize the land. Depending on your chicken run setup, you might be able to toss in some manure into the run and let the chickens break it down. It will also supercharge the composting process in the run.

I would not want to turn my chicken run into a smelly manure pit, but I think small quantities of livestock manure would not be bad, at least in my run. I don't have other livestock, but tossing some livestock manure into the chicken run is something I would consider doing.

When I clean out my coop, all the old bedding litter gets tossed into the run. But I have never had a bad smell in the coop with deep bedding litter and tossing it into the run for composting just makes sense for me.
I really want to try the compost in the run you do. My youngest graduated last spring and I think it'll be just me going in the coops now...so maybe it's ok to try it now. I tend to wear boots anyways and snakes aren't really a problem in boots.

I've learned to love it, just because it is so easy! Especially when you can just nail the board on with the same nails already in it. There are many imperfections with it but it has proven to be very functional on the shed and the compost don't care.

I was thinking the same thing with the horse manure - I'm sure it would offer some great enrichment for the chickens and would make great compost in the run. Definitely only small amounts for them on occasion, the majority will go into the bins. With just the two goats I can fill one bin in about 5-6 months so I bet I can run a similar system as your 5 bins, especially because I don't plan on much turning either.

We talked about some type of metal detector to find any stray nails or nail heads in the yard after our run of pallet projects, but I'm thinking of just getting a big magnet to do the finding and collecting all in one. Maybe a magnet would be good to use on the wood too, I'd imagine it would stick to any hidden nails.
My free range chickens are out by the horses and loooove to eat the horse poop.
⚠️ TIP: Sawzall method to dismantle pallets, with bonus sharpening your blade info ⚠️

OK. Many of you may be using the Sawzall method of dismantling a pallet. That method usually works best to harvest the planks at full length. I used the Sawzall method to quickly break down a pallet and get the planks so I could do a board on board design for a roof, but it works just as well for a board on board wall, too. Sometimes you want those boards as long as you can get them.

I came across a good YouTube video that explains how to use your Sawzall to dismantle a pallet, but it also has a nice bonus section on how to sharpen your blade so you can use it over many times. This person says he gets about 3 pallets broken down with his blade before he needs to sharpen it. But, he shows a many times resharpened blade that he used to break down about 40 pallets on his shed build. That's a lot of cutting on a blade and it could potentially save a person a lot of money. Anyway, I'll link to the full video followed by a link to the point in the video where he shows how to sharpen a blade so you can use it over and over.

Full video here...

Skip to: How to sharpen your recip saw blade for reuse here...

A couple final thoughts on his video... I agree that a Pallet Buster/Pallet Pal is not a very good tool. I built one myself, but like he says, you end up busting more wood using the Pallet Buster because most of the pallets I get have planks flush with the 2X4 edge, with no overhang, so the Pallet Buster cannot pry up both ends of the wood - that causes all the force on one side and breaks and splits the wood. I don't use my Pallet Buster very often.

Having said that, sometimes you get the perfect pallet for the Pallet Buster and then it works great. In my case, maybe 1 out of 20 pallets.

One thing I have never liked about the Sawzall method is that it leaves cut off nails buried in the 2X4 stretchers. In his case, he tosses the 2X4's. I try to use all my pallet wood. It's best to use those 2X4's from the Sawzall method in projects that you don't have to cut the wood (because of the embedded cut off nails). If you do need to cut the 2X4's with nails in them, then it's probably best to get one of the demolition saw blades I talked about a few posts back. Well, that's what I'm planning on doing anyway. I hate to throw out useable wood.
I'm so glad you posted this! I have a few blades I haven't chucked yet but pulled out and set aside as "if I'm desperate" blades.

Compost bins, magnetic sweepers, and sawzaw blades OH MY!!

seriously, lots of good info has been shared. I look forward to watching a few of the videos! The one especially on sharpening your sawzaw blades!!!

@gtau thanks for all the useful info and videos you post!!!

@Folara your compost bin looks SOO GOOD!!!

minors and I took a small break from building, but today we started on the Turkey Tower. I will be grabbing more pallets on Sunday but we got to where we could today.

We cut down 2x4s to attach to the ends of each pallet as to make a way to connect each pallets. We turned them sideways to connect them. We needed to have a way to connect them to make it taller.

We are gonna use board on board to cover gaps...as it seems the most logical.

Attachments

• 20220928_133228.jpg
    20220928_133228.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 20220928_135524.jpg
    20220928_135524.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • 20220928_135100.jpg
    20220928_135100.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • 20220928_140407.jpg
    20220928_140407.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • 20220928_142048.jpg
    20220928_142048.jpg
    926 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
@gtaus, thanks for the explanation on demolition blade. What a useful thing to have, for when you need it.

I think I'll be getting one of those metal finding wands at Harbor Freight. In addition to pallet wood, we have some some old (old-old) barn wood. I dismantled something DH built using screws, since it had served its purpose. I wanted to reclaim the screws, but the wood is dry, splitting, dry rotting, and useless to build with again.

But it'll make GREAT kindling. I want to scan it for old nails, the screws that broke, and then cut it up for firewood. And know where the screws are. :thumbsup

I'm so glad you posted this! [How to sharpen a reciprocating saw blade] I have a few blades I haven't chucked yet but pulled out and set aside as "if I'm desperate" blades.

:lau Yep, I don't throw out dull blades either. They get put aside for last ditch efforts. When I saw that clip on sharpening the blades, I thought to myself that there was a reason I had saved those old dull blades. I think I'll be trying to sharpen them up and see if I can get a second life out of them.

thanks for all the useful info and videos you post!!!

I very much appreciate the positive feedback. I am posing pallet related info that I find interesting or useful, and it's good to get feedback from others. I hate to think I'm talking to myself. So, your feedback keeps me engaged. Thanks.

today we started on the Turkey Tower.

:thumbsup Love the pics. That looks like it is going to big the biggest Turkey Tower I have ever seen! Maybe you should rename it now as the Turkey Taj Mahal because it looks like you are building a big, beautiful, masterpiece!

We are gonna use board on board to cover gaps...as it seems the most logical.

I really like the board on board design. It looks great, and is easy to do.

⚠️ Just one concern on your pics. In this pic you have a pallet sitting on top of the first row, but it does not look like you have any bracing or supports for safety. Maybe you secured it after the picture was taken. In any case, would hate to hear that an unsecured pallet fell on one of the minors.

1664425220032.png

I hope you continue to post progress pics of the Turkey Tower build. I would like to build a pallet shed someday, much like the way you are building this project. Please let me know what lessons you learned along the way in the build. I am especially interested in how you put a roof on that Turkey Tower. That looks like a very big build.

:old Over the years, I have built garages, house additions, and sheds using store bought lumber. I know how to use standard construction methods using new lumber. But, using pallets for a big build is something I have never done. So any advice you can pass on would be most appreciated. I have enough pallets now to start a pallet shed build next spring.

Last edited:
thanks for the explanation on demolition blade. What a useful thing to have, for when you need it.

Yep, I have a number of circular saws, so I have decided to dedicate one saw just for the demolition blade. But, it's easy enough to swap out blades if a person has only one saw to work with.

:old It occurs to me that I have 6 circular saws, of various sizes, out in my garage. How many do I need? Maybe only one full sized saw and one small saw. But, I got the saws as part of tool kits, etc.. and I take care of my tools. Over the years, I have collected too many saws, I guess.

I think I'll be getting one of those metal finding wands at Harbor Freight.

Me too, but I am waiting for a good coupon sale to get the wand at a cheaper price. Just missed a 15% off coupon last week, but I'm sure HF will be sending out more coupons in another few weeks, or so. They always seem to offer special sales. You just have to watch out and read the emails they send out.

In addition to pallet wood, we have some some old (old-old) barn wood. I dismantled something DH built using screws, since it had served its purpose. I wanted to reclaim the screws, but the wood is dry, splitting, dry rotting, and useless to build with again.

:lau I guess I'm not the only one saving old screws and rusty nails for reuse? Thought I got it from my grandfather who lived through the Great Depression. I grew up pounding nails straight for reuse long before grandpa ever took me to the store to buy new nails. For most of my pallet projects, the old screws or rusty nails are just fine. In fact, I rather enjoy telling others that I used reclaimed nails and screws along with my reclaimed pallet wood or lumber.

But it'll make GREAT kindling.

I used to have a nice wood burning barrel in my old garage. Worked great. Burning old wood was perfect for that barrel stove and heated up the garage in no time. I don't have any wood burning stoves in my new house or garage. But, I do wish that I could burn some of my pallet wood cutoffs to heat the house and save some money.

Currently, the best use for my end of the line wood is to toss it into my fire ring where I am burning out a stump. At least it's not being wasted and tossed into a landfill. :tongue

Back
Top Bottom