Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

Pics
Progress on the garage...
We have enough metal *I think* to cover the roof if it bends the way I hope it will🤞🤞🤞

We had a few oopsies along the way but nothing no one will notice unless looking for it...

Attachments

• 20220825_111936.jpg
    20220825_111936.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 20220825_120652.jpg
    20220825_120652.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • 20220825_120706.jpg
    20220825_120706.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 20220825_120921.jpg
    20220825_120921.jpg
    934.2 KB · Views: 9
We burn them in our pit...we just don't allow the minors to cook over them...(we only have HT no MB)

Yeah, I ended up burning some reject pallet wood in the stump burning pit this afternoon. Probably the best use for it at this point. Understand not wanting to let the kids cook over burning pallet wood, but the HT pallets are only heated to kill any insects and should have no chemicals present. Of course, that may depend on what was shipped on the pallet. I obviously would not want to cook over pallet wood that had been used to transport oil or chemical barrels.

When I was growing up, we had a wood burning stove/furnace down in the basement that was piped into the main propane furnace ducting. Dad would keep that wood stove stoked in the cold winter days to cut down on the cost of burning propane to heat the house. Saved him a lot of money. Wish I would have considered that wood burning option when I built the house I currently live in. Don't know if it's even possible to add one at this point. But, it sure would be nice to burn those pallet wood rejects to heat the house and save some money this winter.

Any idea the why's for MB treated pallets? That stuff sounds nasty and hard to dispose of.

From online article Ultimate Guide To Pallet Markings:
  • MB – Methyl Bromide. These have been treated with a highly toxic pesticide which can be necessary in certain regions of the world where there are pests that can’t be eliminated by heat treatments. You should never use pallets with a MB stamp on for a craft project and you should never burn these pallets on a fire.
The UK banned MB pallets back in 2010. From what I have found on the internet, MB pallets are no longer made or consumed in the USA, but they leave an opening for critical shipments exemptions. Evidently, MB also depletes the Ozone layer, another reason not to use it.

If you want to know more about MB, check out this link from the US EPA: Methyl Bromide.

I have never picked up a MB pallet, but if I did, it would not be too hard to dispose of where I live. Our local county landfill takes pallets and just buries them in a pit and covers them up. How do I know this? Because I went out to the landfill and asked the guys if they had any pallets I could take. Their answer was they don't keep any pallets. They just dump them in a pit and cover them up about as fast as they get them. I guess it's right there in their name - County Landfill. So, easy to get rid of MB pallets, but make sure you don't attempt to burn them yourself at home.

⚠️ :tongue:idunno:mad::hit Just a quick side note. I take burning of chemicals very seriously. I have a relative that was a fireman on an Air Force base in California. He loved his job. In fact, I was envious of him and how much he loved his work. We could all wish to be so happy in our jobs. Anyway, a few years later, he and all his firemen buddies got sick with various cancers. They had been exposed to fumes of burning chemicals out on the Air Force base as part of their normal jobs - and nobody thought anything of it at the time. Within a few years, all the other guys from the firehouse were dead. My relative is still alive because his wife pulled him out of the VA system and took him to a specialty cancer hospital. Although still alive, he now is wheelchair bound, suffers constantly from cancer and treatments, and has a terrible life. So, when I read that you should not burn MB pallets because of the chemicals, I take the warnings seriously.

But, like I have said, I have probably picked up about 40 pallets now and none of them have been stamped MB. All the pallets that I have seen are HT: Heat Treated and safe for use for anything. My biggest concern with my pallets is the dreaded sliver in the fingers if I don't wear my work gloves.

We have enough metal *I think* to cover the roof if it bends the way I hope it will🤞🤞🤞

We had a few oopsies along the way but nothing no one will notice unless looking for it...
Hubby said it's super sturdy and isn't going anywhere...

However, the metal doesn't bend (we shall use it for the the turkeys no big) so we are going to get a super heavy duty tarp and do up the roof with that.

I've seen other builds like this (definitely not my idea) and they said they've been using the same tarp for 18+m...

I don't mind replacing a tarp now and again...we will just have to see how it works out...

That looks great!
When we had goats and more horses, we used some pallet wood as siding on a coop they could get at. I think it was the goats that would chew and pull at the boards...but only in one spot and the chickens feed was on the other side. I think they were trying to get at the chicken feed. At any rate, thought I'd mention it. They sure destroyed my siding in that spot!
From online article Ultimate Guide To Pallet Markings:
  • MB – Methyl Bromide. These have been treated with a highly toxic pesticide which can be necessary in certain regions of the world where there are pests that can’t be eliminated by heat treatments. You should never use pallets with a MB stamp on for a craft project and you should never burn these pallets on a fire.
The UK banned MB pallets back in 2010. From what I have found on the internet, MB pallets are no longer made or consumed in the USA, but they leave an opening for critical shipments exemptions. Evidently, MB also depletes the Ozone layer, another reason not to use it.

If you want to know more about MB, check out this link from the US EPA: Methyl Bromide.

I have never picked up a MB pallet, but if I did, it would not be too hard to dispose of where I live. Our local county landfill takes pallets and just buries them in a pit and covers them up. How do I know this? Because I went out to the landfill and asked the guys if they had any pallets I could take. Their answer was they don't keep any pallets. They just dump them in a pit and cover them up about as fast as they get them. I guess it's right there in their name - County Landfill. So, easy to get rid of MB pallets, but make sure you don't attempt to burn them yourself at home.

⚠️ :tongue:idunno:mad::hit Just a quick side note. I take burning of chemicals very seriously. I have a relative that was a fireman on an Air Force base in California. He loved his job. In fact, I was envious of him and how much he loved his work. We could all wish to be so happy in our jobs. Anyway, a few years later, he and all his firemen buddies got sick with various cancers. They had been exposed to fumes of burning chemicals out on the Air Force base as part of their normal jobs - and nobody thought anything of it at the time. Within a few years, all the other guys from the firehouse were dead. My relative is still alive because his wife pulled him out of the VA system and took him to a specialty cancer hospital. Although still alive, he now is wheelchair bound, suffers constantly from cancer and treatments, and has a terrible life. So, when I read that you should not burn MB pallets because of the chemicals, I take the warnings seriously.

But, like I have said, I have probably picked up about 40 pallets now and none of them have been stamped MB. All the pallets that I have seen are HT: Heat Treated and safe for use for anything. My biggest concern with my pallets is the dreaded sliver in the fingers if I don't wear my work gloves.
Ouch. Huge mental hugs for your friend!

Back
Top Bottom