Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

Pics
looks great.

I have heard that I can mix some soil with cement and make a sort of concrete instead of a pricy hardware cloth around coops. our soil has sand and pebbles in it. it is important to bury this concrete deep down (the same thing as hardware cloth) so that rats don't make nests under it.
This is really good solid (notice the pun 🤣🤣) advice. I don't know that I'll use it...but hardware cloth is super expensive so I find the info useful!!!

I have heard that I can mix some soil with cement and make a sort of concrete
Adding gravel will make it harder.
We've used a product called Quikrete for that on our silty soil. It has pebbels, sand and cement mixed tgether. It comes in a 60 lb bag that is somewhat managable. Just sprinkle it on the ground and scratch it in with a hoe. You can wet it with a hose or just wait until it rains or wicks moisture up from the ground. The result is not rock solid, but solid enough to prevent digging by some varmit. My wife doesn't like it because it becomes a disposal problem if/when you decide you don't want it there any more.

Came across this pallet pic on another thread. I like how they used pallet wood in their project and making a dust bath for the chickens.

...maybe dig a small part of your run back down to dirt and put a wooden frame around it (to keep it from filling back in with your deep bedding) and let them have at it. That's what we did, and then we also used a couple pallets and some fiberglass roofing and tin to put a roof and sides over it to keep it dry in rainy/snowy weather... The girls love it!

1670435242215.png

Your best bet would be find a broken cabinet or window that hinges open.

Yep, I am not in any hurry. Also, I would hate to put a lot of money into a pallet project that I take so much pride in costing practically nothing. If I can reclaim some hardware, that would be my first choice.

plans changed and we are now looking to start another BIGGER flock of dual purpose chickens!

Love hearing about your adventures. Keep on posting...

Minors and I put the roof on the other day. And even with all my measuring I still placed one of the metal sheets in the wrong spot (and didnt notice till it was screwed in *sigh*) and now have to look into buying a gutter as a precaution for the front as the overhang isn't were I wanted it. Oh well....
Easy fix I believe.

:lau Yep, nothing like actually building something to show yourself where the perfect clashes with reality. Made more than a few miscalculations in my projects and had to find a fix. Good teaching lesson for the minors. Figure out a fix when things don't work out as planned. Probably a valuable life lesson in there, too.

I don't know what went wrong, but your build is looking pretty nice to me. You and the minors must be pretty happy with your progress.

Love hearing about your adventures. Keep on posting...

:lau Yep, nothing like actually building something to show yourself where the perfect clashes with reality. Made more than a few miscalculations in my projects and had to find a fix. Good teaching lesson for the minors. Figure out a fix when things don't work out as planned. Probably a valuable life lesson in there, too.

I don't know what went wrong, but your build is looking pretty nice to me. You and the minors must be pretty happy with your progress.
Lol, thanks!!
I am all abt the minors learning life lessons!! And I am totally loving the fact that they've helped build this from the start!! Today we took down the Turkey Tower sign and filled in the front with board on board style. We put up the roosting bars and finished cleaning this set of 10 nesting boxes that someone gave to me!!! I am in the process of restoring them best I can. Hubby is building a stand for them outta the 11x4 pallets.

Attachments

• 20221206_112641.jpg
    20221206_112641.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 20221206_112652.jpg
    20221206_112652.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20221207_124737.jpg
    IMG_20221207_124737.jpg
    644.3 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom