Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

:clap I finished my pallet wood seed starting shelf. Here is a picture of the frame all put together. Sorry for the bad angles on these photos, but the shelf is in our second bathroom and I could only back up so far to take the pictures...

View attachment 3440804

As you can see, I mainly used those 2X4 stretchers with the cut outs for the frame. I did not cut any them in this build, just used them as they came off the pallet disassembly. Only thing I did was to pull all the nails out of the wood.

Here is a picture of the shelf with the reclaimed shelving board in place.

View attachment 3440806

I think it looks OK, for a temporary seed starting shelf for a few months. I can still get the bathroom door shut, so that is a bonus. You can see on the top shelf that I was checking the shelves for level both side to side and front to back. It's not perfect, but darn close.

The shelf is 4 feet high and 4 feet wide. The reclaimed shelving boards were just a little shorter at 46 inches. The shelves are 15-1/2 inches deep. I expect I will be able to get all my plants I intend to start on 1 or 2 shelves. But I imagine I will find a good use for the other shelves. Probably end up potting more seeds that I intend at this time. But that would be OK.

Next step is to install the LED shop lights and get everything hooked up to a timer.

Yesterday, I bought a Ferry Morse heating mat for seed starting.

60660007_3.jpg

:idunno Since this is my first year attempting to start seeds in the house, I decided to get a heat mat because the temp in that bathroom is about 63F, which I read is on the cool side for seed germination. It was an additional expense I had not planned on, but I hope it is a good investment. I got it our local Fleet Store for $28.00 less a 15% discount on their "Bucket Days" sales. So, final cost was $23.80 plus tax for that mat. I checked out some less expensive seed starting mats on Amazon, but when I read more than one negative review that the cheap mats from Amazon almost burned down their house, I decided to go with the name brand Ferry Morse mat for the extra $10.00. And, I like to purchase locally when I can to support our brick and mortar stores.

:caf Now it's time to pot up those 3-inch net cups and get some seeds germinating. If anyone has any suggestions for me on my first year attempt of seed starting, please post a comment. I'm open to any constructive ideas. Later...
That looks great! Like how it all came together with minimal cutting. Would love to see it with the lights installed too. Are the shelves screwed in or removable to give more space as seedlings grow? I'm used to giving more grow out space and room to raise/lower the lights for plants as they grow. Good looking shelves 👍

That looks great! Like how it all came together with minimal cutting. Would love to see it with the lights installed too.

OK, when I get the lights installed, and maybe some seed pots started, I'll plan on taking another picture or two.

Are the shelves screwed in or removable to give more space as seedlings grow? I'm used to giving more grow out space and room to raise/lower the lights for plants as they grow. Good looking shelves 👍

I did not screw in the shelves. They sit on the frame just with gravity. That way I can easily lift them off to adjust the lights (when I get them installed) and/or completely remove a shelf if I need more room for the plants to grow.

Also, the brackets for the two middle shelves can easily be taken off and relocated higher/lower if needed. Everything was put together using screws, so no problem to make adjustments later if needed.

I am pretty happy with the looks of the shelf. Came out better than I originally imagined. The reclaimed shelving boards really look nice. If this design works out for me, then I think I might hit the pallet wood with a good sanding and then paint or stain the wood this summer. The 2X4's are an overbuild, so I would rip some boards down to 2X2's if I redo the frame.

But my goal was just to get something done this year and attempt to germinate some seeds and start my tomato and pepper plants in house. Might start some other plants as well, My last average frost date is 30 May. So, I still have lots of time to consider starting other plants as well before then.

My wife has commandeered a vacant 1/2" HC quail cage just for drying seed. The rodents always strike at the worst possible moment. It's as though they are always there watching our every move.

That sounds like a good idea. Dear Wife was really upset, and sad, when her seeds were eaten by the mouse. Actually, I really felt bad too because I had built some nice trellises for her plants to climb up on outside on our back deck. I used some natural wood from thin "junk" trees I cut down and made a couple nice fan trellises for her plants to climb on. The wood was about 1-1/2-inches round, 6 feet high, and made for a nice trellis.

An added bonus was that the wild birds loved to perch on the trellis and go back and forth to her bird feeder. She loved watching the birds siting out on the deck on those trellises.

Anyways, I hope to find some more seeds for her and try to grow more of those plants. I cannot remember exactly what the plant was, but it was some Asian plant that is not typically sold as seed in our local stores. I might have to order those seeds online.

Now it's time to pot up those 3-inch net cups and get some seeds germinating. If anyone has any suggestions for me on my first year attempt of seed starting, please post a comment. I'm open to any constructive ideas
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/seed-starting.1569309/
There's a whole thread! :)

https://www.rareseeds.com/store/vegetables/bitter-melon
Is that what you're looking for?

I order from Baker Creek every year, and like them. Free shipping, which helps when you want to buy only a few packets of seeds.

That sounds like a good idea. Dear Wife was really upset, and sad, when her seeds were eaten by the mouse. Actually, I really felt bad too because I had built some nice trellises for her plants to climb up on outside on our back deck. I used some natural wood from thin "junk" trees I cut down and made a couple nice fan trellises for her plants to climb on. The wood was about 1-1/2-inches round, 6 feet high, and made for a nice trellis.

An added bonus was that the wild birds loved to perch on the trellis and go back and forth to her bird feeder. She loved watching the birds siting out on the deck on those trellises.

Anyways, I hope to find some more seeds for her and try to grow more of those plants. I cannot remember exactly what the plant was, but it was some Asian plant that is not typically sold as seed in our local stores. I might have to order those seeds online.
I use this company for Asian seeds a lot. Your wife might like them too.

https://kitazawaseed.com/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/seed-starting.1569309/
There's a whole thread! :)

https://www.rareseeds.com/store/vegetables/bitter-melon
Is that what you're looking for?

I order from Baker Creek every year, and like them. Free shipping, which helps when you want to buy only a few packets of seeds.

I use this company for Asian seeds a lot. Your wife might like them too.

https://kitazawaseed.com/

Thanks, guys. I will have time to check out those links maybe later this evening. Appreciate the help.

:clap Well, I got my LED shop lights installed in my pallet/reclaimed wood seed starting shelf. Getting ready to pot up a few plants this weekend and maybe snap a picture or two to share.

Been learning that I should sterilize the potting mix before planting the seeds. Watched a number of YouTube videos on fungus gnats that could hatch out in the potting soil if you don't sterilize it first. I think I will use the boiling water method to sterilize the potting mix.

However, one video mentioned that freezing the potting mix should kill any fungus gnat eggs. Is that true? I had my potting soil sitting out in the old Explorer for a few days in about 3F temps. When I brought the potting soil bag inside the house, it was frozen solid.

As for the seed trays, I still have not found anything other than my one 10X20 tray that has holes in the corners. I looked at our local stores and all they have is the really cheap plastic 10X20 trays which I cannot imagine will last very long before they are broken, ripped, or get holes in them too.

However, I dug out my "mini greenhouse" bins and think I will just use the cover of the storage bins instead of the 10X20 trays. I use the Hefty Hi-Rise 72 qt storage bins. For the greenhouse, you just flip the bin over and use the lid as the seed starting tray, and the clear bin becomes the mini greenhouse.

R.f37e8c63eead0da3939782ff0ecd2e3c

I bought these bins about 3 years ago for $10.00 each, but I see they are now $14.00 each at Target. Anyway, the lid on this storage bin is made of much heavier plastic than the 10X20 trays. Also, I did a mock up of how many of my 3-inch net pots I could get in a 10X20 tray compared to the lid of this Hefty Hi-Rise 72 qt storage bin. The 10X20 tray can hold 18 3-inch nets pots. The lid of the Hefty storage bin holds 35 3-inch net pots.

Bonus: I can get 2 of these lids on each of my seed starting shelf. Almost like it was custom made for the job.

If you are interested in making a "mini greenhouse" out of storage bins, I would highly recommend using these Hefty Hi-Rise 72 qt bins. There is an excellent 30-minute video on YouTube on what to look for if you want to make a mini greenhouse out of storage bins, and this guy walks you through a number of reasons why the Hefty Hi-Rise bins are his best choice. If the idea sounds interesting to you, I highly recommending watching the entire video before you go out and buy just any old storage bin. There are specific reasons why the Hefty Hi-Rise bins are better for the gardener.

I have 3 of these "mini greenhouses" made from Hefty Hi-Rise bins. What I have used them for in the past was for hardening off my store-bought plants before I took them outside for transplanting. I love the way that the lid locks on to the bin, so when you use it upside down as a greenhouse, the lid (now the bottom) is still locked on tight. It makes it really easy to transport my plants out to the deck and then bringing them back into the house and stacking them one on top of the other reducing the space required to keep them in the house.

Like I said, I think this year they will double up as my seed starting trays instead of using 10X20 trays.

I've been checking out YouTube videos on making some cold frames or hoop tops for my raised beds. Instead of using PVC pipe as in most videos, I'm trying to find a design that works using pallet wood instead of PVC. Of course, the wood won't bend like the PVC pipe, but I am hoping that I can think of a design with wood that works.

One of the designs I am kicking around in my head is a gambrel style "hoop" over a raised bed. Something like this....

Build-a-gambrel-roof.jpg

Only sized down to a gambrel roof "hoop" over a 4X4 raised garden bed instead of a barn. And, of course, using plastic for the greenhouse effect instead of solid roofing materials.

In addition to being able to plant a few weeks earlier in the spring, I think I could a begin a number of weeks earlier in growing things like Kale under a plastic dome. Last fall I still was harvesting fresh Kale, even after some light snowfalls. Eventually, the deer found the Kale and ate it all. But I'm thinking if I build a dome over some of my raised beds, my cool weather plants could produce longer. If I'm lucky, the plastic dome would also keep the deer out.

R.c81acfbafe1030c7eba3d020e04f66a7

Yeah, the deer sure are cute - until they eat all your plants in the garden putting an end to the people food for the year.

:old The last Tuesday of every month I attend a Senior Citizens Cooking Class. It's fun for me because I don't know much about cooking. I guess I'm at an age where I am doing lots of stuff I never did when I was younger. Anyway, it gives me something new to learn and Dear Wife, who still does most of the cooking in the house, now lets me take over supper once or twice a week.

🤔 Sometimes I think Dear Wife enjoys me going to cooking class more than I do!

Well, on my way to cooking class today, I took a different route. I drove past an aviation business and noticed that they had a big stack of pallets out back. But what really caught my attention was that those pallets were 8 feet long! Holy cow would I love to snag some of those.

So, after my cooking class, I stopped in at the aviation business and politely asked them if they would be willing to give some of the pallets to me so I could build some raised garden beds. I could not take any pallets today, but after the snow melts in a month or so, I would be able to return with a small trailer. They said that would be fine. They just did not want to advertise it as a free for all pick up pallet place because they do reuse some of their pallets. They told me just to come in when ready and ask the manager if he still had some pallets to give away.

I would have loved to take some of those 8-foot-long pallets today, but my utility trailer is under 3 feet of snow, and I don't expect that snow to melt until late April. Our winter snow has mainly come here in March, with snow today, and another small snowstorm coming in on Thursday. Once I can get to the trailer, I'll be heading back there to pick up some long pallets!

⚠️ New tool alert!

I bought a new tool today at Harbor Freight that I hope I will find useful for lots of things in the garage workshop, including my pallet projects. It is the $150.00 35 in. Hands-Free Portable Clamping Workstation, 600 lb. Capacity ...

58123_W3.jpg

which is a clone of the more expensive $250.00 Rockwell Jawhorse. (Current prices as of the date of this post).

OIP.CnXbXrM04MBBVk-V87EICAHaIe

The Harbor Freight Jawhorse is normally $150.00, like I said, but is currently on sale for $99.00. Plus, I had a coupon worth $5.00 in Harbor Freight money which I used on this purchase. I have a Harbor Freight store credit card that pays me back 5% in all purchases at Harbor Freight and gives me "Harbor Freight money" which I can only use at Harbor Freight on future purchases.

:drool Maybe I had too much time on my hands and watched too many YouTube reviews of the Jawhorse, but it really looks like a tool I absolutely needed to have! What sold me on the Jawhorse was all the guys were saying, "If you work alone, this is the third hand you always wanted." I said, "Hey, that's me!"

Actually, I started off looking for a bench vise or clamp for some of the pallet wood workbenches I built last summer. But most of those bench vises and clamps cost around $100 just for the vise. So, I kept the vise/clamp idea in mind on my "someday to buy" wish list, but it never worked its way up to the top.

Then I saw a few videos of the Rockwell Jawhorse and thought that was a neat tool, but I did not want to spend $250.00 on it. Almost by accident, I watched a video on the Harbor Freight "Jawhorse" copy and saw that it was on sale for $99.00. That was more in line with my budget. So, I looked into the HF Jawhorse knockoff v. the original Rockwell Jawhorse and the video reviews were very postive on the HF Jawhorse. In fact, one guy had both models and he showed how you could take off the clamping pieces from one Jawhorse and use them on the other! Exact fit!

When I am working with pallet wood, I often need to clamp the wood in a strong vise so I can pull out the nails on those 2X4 stretchers. I have a small Work-Mate bench that I use, but it's not very strong and I don't dare to pound on it at all. It's also too light to provide much counterweight. I had one of those benches that I tried to hammer in a nail on some wood and just broke the benchtop wood in half. The clamps on those small workbenches work OK, but when start to pull nails, it usually pulls the wood out of the vise unless you have one hand on the wood and push it down.

I bought my small $20 folding workbench from Menards many years ago, and it's still working. They look like this...

2401556_dat(2).jpg

The problem is that the folding workbench is really only good for very light duty work. The folding workbench itself is less than 10 pounds of weight - compared to the HF Jawhorse which weighs about 42 pounds. Also, notice that the workbench clamps are plastic and you cannot clamp anything with much force before you would break the plastic. On the other hand, the HF jawhorse uses a jack type system which has 1,000 lbs of locking force. That's a big difference!

Another feature I look forward to using on the HF Jawhorse is the anvil on top of the vise...

1680056208543.jpeg

I watched one video where the guy said that anvil on the clamp head was great for pounding bent nails straight. Perfect! I have a couple of bins in my storage case full of bent pallet wood nails that need a little persuasion before I can reuse them. But I did not have anything to pound them out on. Now I do.

Obviously, I will be using this Jawhorse for lots of things in addition to my pallet projects. If you want a general idea of what the Jawhorse can do, here are a few videos for your enjoyment... (***Note: Prices in the videos are from years ago.)

As always, if anyone has any experience in using the Jawhorse for pallet work, please let me know how you use it. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom