Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

🤔 I am having a hard time visualizing those panels attached to your raised bed in such a manner that you have to remove them to access the plants. Sounds like a major PITA to me as well.
The wooden frames with either 4x2 welded wire fencing or chicken wire attached were screwed to the framework I built above the raised beds. There was a single screw on each side of the panel that had to be loosened in order to remove it from the uprights attached to the raised bed.

IMG_2191.JPG
IMG_2183.JPG

Dear Wife and I love the butternut squash. I have a small number of butternut squash starts ready to transplant as well. The only problem I have is locating them in a place where they can spread out without causing too many other problmes. I tried growing butternut squash in my lakeside garden one year and they overgrew almost everything. I had lots of butternut squash, but not so much of anything else! So, I am thinking of planting them out in the middle of the backyard this year and just mow around them as they spread out over the summer.

The sprawl was one of the things I liked about Bnut squash. It covered a lot of area. I had less and less weeding as the summer went on. :)
The variety of butternut squash I grew last year and again this year is Butterbush butternut squash. It spreads more than say, a zucchini vine does but a lot less than a standard vining butternut squash. I think I read that the vines grow around 6 feet long.

Dear Wife and I love the butternut squash. I have a small number of butternut squash starts ready to transplant as well.

:idunno Correction: I meant to say buttercup squash, not butternut squash, is our favorite. And I have started a number of buttercup squash plants for transplanting.

We also like the butternut squash, and other types of squash, but buttercup squash is what I meant to say.

Last edited:
The wooden frames with either 4x2 welded wire fencing or chicken wire attached were screwed to the framework I built above the raised beds. There was a single screw on each side of the panel that had to be loosened in order to remove it from the uprights attached to the raised bed.

View attachment 3831526
View attachment 3831529

Thanks for the pictures. Looks like some deer protection cage to me. You might have been able to re-engineer your design to get around that panels having to be screwed in place. I'm thinking back to your wire hinges and using a bungee cord as a latch.

The variety of butternut squash I grew last year and again this year is Butterbush butternut squash. It spreads more than say, a zucchini vine does but a lot less than a standard vining butternut squash. I think I read that the vines grow around 6 feet long.

I did not know about that. I'll have to check into it some more. My buttercup squash vines spread out 20-30 feet and basically took over the garden. Maybe there are Butterbush varieties with shorter vines of buttercup squash as well?

:idunno Correction: I meant to say buttercup squash, not butternut squash, is our favorite. And I have started a number of buttercup squash plants for transplanting.

We also like the butternut squash, and other types of squash, but buttercup squash is what I meant to say.
This is what I'm growing. I think I prefer the buttercup (kabocha) squash, too. Should've planted some I guess.

Screen Shot 2024-05-14 at 9.27.41 AM.png

Last edited:
This is what I'm growing. I think I prefer the buttercup (kabocha) squash, too. Should've planted some I guess.

I'm a really big fan of almost all types of squash. Buttercup being the favorite, but butternut and other yellow type squash as well.

:idunno Zucchini is one of my go-to veggies, but in season, Dear Wife complains we have too many. As soon as they are gone, she is in the store buying zucchini for her stir fry. I have not figured out how to freeze zucchini for the winter, but Dear Wife makes zucchini bread which freezes well and lasted us until March this winter. I think she made and froze about 6 loaves last fall. I would like even more zucchini bread not only for breakfast, but I enjoy it as a healthier snack throughout the day.

1715711500616.png

I'm a really big fan of almost all types of squash. Buttercup being the favorite, but butternut and other yellow type squash as well.

:idunno Zucchini is one of my go-to veggies, but in season, Dear Wife complains we have too many. As soon as they are gone, she is in the store buying zucchini for her stir fry. I have not figured out how to freeze zucchini for the winter, but Dear Wife makes zucchini bread which freezes well and lasted us until March this winter. I think she made and froze about 6 loaves last fall. I would like even more zucchini bread not only for breakfast, but I enjoy it as a healthier snack throughout the day.

View attachment 3831784
If you remember, I froze quite a few whole zucchini squash last summer to eat over the winter. I didn't eat very many, so I'll have to figure out another way to store them for winter use. I might try dehydrating some this year.

If you remember, I froze quite a few whole zucchini squash last summer to eat over the winter.
Since I wasn't enamored of zucchini last year, I wouldn't have been paying much attention. I'm assuming you froze them unpeeled? How were they when you thawed them? Were they mushy? What did you use them for?

I want to grow zukes for making zoodles (zucchini noodles).

Since I wasn't enamored of zucchini last year, I wouldn't have been paying much attention. I'm assuming you froze them unpeeled? How were they when you thawed them? Were they mushy? What did you use them for?

I want to grow zukes for making zoodles (zucchini noodles).
Yes, they were kind of mushy and released a lot of liquid. I just put them in a pot with other veggies and made sort of a soup or stew-like thing.

They were all rather large, so there was a lot of the pithy center in them with the soft seeds, which I left in and ate. I've read they freeze well when they're grated for use in things like breads and cakes.

I'm starting out with four zucchini plants this year, which should be more than enough.

Back
Top Bottom