Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

Should I make a wooden frame for the fencing and attach it to the wood porch support? How strong do I need for clematis?

I was thinking something like a wooden frame attached to the porch supports, and then attaching your trellis to the wooden frame. I can't tell from your picture where you want to extend the cattle panel trellis. but if you could extend a wood frame from one post to the other I think it would work.

Most trellis stuff is not all that strong. Usually thin lathes. The wood frame, if it spans a larger distance, might be better off with something like a 1X4 ripped in half or thirds. I would think that would be plenty strong as a frame. You could paint the frame the color of the siding or your trim to blend in better.

I would not want to put holes in vinyl siding. So, I think you are on the right track about building a wooden frame across that area and then attaching the trellis to the frame. it looks like you have lots of wood posts/supports/rails to build a frame system.

As far as the vertical under the porch roof is vinyl, as is everything on the right side, you might be able to make a wooden frame that is screwed into the wood on the left side vertical post and that top rail then making the top piece and right side a type of compression fit so you would not need to screw into the vinyl. For a trellis, I think it would be plenty strong.

:idunno I have made things like that before, like a frame within a frame, and that inside frame is so tight from compression that you don't even need screws. But you have the left vertical post and the top rail to screw into and that should make everything even more secure. I know what I would do, I just don't know if I explained it well enough. But I really believe it can be done without poking holes into the vinyl.

I was thinking something like a wooden frame attached to the porch supports, and then attaching your trellis to the wooden frame. I can't tell from your picture where you want to extend the cattle panel trellis. but if you could extend a wood frame from one post to the other I think it would work.

Most trellis stuff is not all that strong. Usually thin lathes. The wood frame, if it spans a larger distance, might be better off with something like a 1X4 ripped in half or thirds. I would think that would be plenty strong as a frame. You could paint the frame the color of the siding or your trim to blend in better.

I would not want to put holes in vinyl siding. So, I think you are on the right track about building a wooden frame across that area and then attaching the trellis to the frame. it looks like you have lots of wood posts/supports/rails to build a frame system.

As far as the vertical under the porch roof is vinyl, as is everything on the right side, you might be able to make a wooden frame that is screwed into the wood on the left side vertical post and that top rail then making the top piece and right side a type of compression fit so you would not need to screw into the vinyl. For a trellis, I think it would be plenty strong.

:idunno I have made things like that before, like a frame within a frame, and that inside frame is so tight from compression that you don't even need screws. But you have the left vertical post and the top rail to screw into and that should make everything even more secure. I know what I would do, I just don't know if I explained it well enough. But I really believe it can be done without poking holes into the vinyl.
Thank you. I'd not thought about doing a compression fit. 🤔🤔🤔

I built a simple door frame for my coop, I can give a trellis frame a try.

🤔 Sounds like a possible solution to protect the sacrificial plywood. I have lots of empty feed bags, many that are made out of plastic like material, that should work for something like that.

Originally, I bought some off cut linoleum piece for my coop floor, but I don't want to do that again. I like your idea better, frankly, so if you try it out, let me know how it works for you. I have to do some coop floor repair sometime this summer. Thanks.
It's what I'm starting with! I'll try to remember to give an update after a while.

DIYers, I need input.

I have created a flower garden where my Rose of Sharon trees used to be, and planted a clematis. I gave it a cattle panel trellis (partial) and it's climbing like gangbusters!
View attachment 3844462
Now I need to extend/create the top of the trellis, but I do not want to put holes in the vinyl siding. I was thinking of using a second of garden fence that is 4' tall.

View from the porch. I don't mind putting holes in the black porch supports or railing, as it's wood. The vertical under the porch roof is vinyl, as is everything on the right side.
View attachment 3844463
Is there a way to attach to vinyl siding without making holes? Should I make a wooden frame for the fencing and attach it to the wood porch support? How strong do I need for clematis?
🤔🤔🤔
I have grown clematis on twine or wire.

You could put a few small eye hooks or cup hooks across the top wood piece. Then run twine or wire from the hooks to the top of the cattle panel. As the clematis climbs, the twine or wire will disappear.

Sorry, I have no experience with raising goats. All I know is that they are pretty smart and seem to find a way out of their pens. I would like to have a few goats, but Dear Wife is a hard "no" on that adventure.
Once I get my chickens and ducks' coops/runs situated, my next attempts will be to raise a few goats and a donkey.

I have used staples to put up winter plastic. I also have found staples in the gizzard when cleaning cockerels. Hardware disease is problems from the chickens eating metal.
I used only the amount of staples that were needed, and I'm doing deep litter bedding. I know they can dig their way to the bottom, if they fixate on one spot, but I don't think it will be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom