Show me your pre-made/built coops!

PlentywoodFarm, I found the same thing when I was researching. So many places will say that it will fit so many birds, but when you do the math, they just aren't big enough. So. since I bought 7 chicks to start out, I bought a coop that says it will fit 15.

My plan is to free range. There is a small run underneath the coop with a trap door in the floor of the coop and I planned on using that for the first week or so while I taught them where home is and make sure they learn to come in at night. Then I figured I would start letting them out in the morning and lock them in at night. I have three nice one-acre pastures that the horses roam and figured the chickens could have a great time in the "resting" pastures. BUT.....

Every morning when I go out to feed, I see two hawks sitting in a tree in the hayfield. They are after mice in the hayfield, but once they see those chicks, I know they will think they should have them. I'm not sure what I want to do now. I have been thinking about building "cover" for the chickens so they have somewhere to hide from the hawks, but they would be so much safer in a covered pen. I just haven't decided yet....

The PLAN is free range. If I do that, and the hawks take one or two, then I will build a run to attach to the coop and just move the coop every couple of days.

Res, I love your coop! I looked at sheds, but decided not to ask hubby to help install chicken door and flooring... and figure out a way to put it on wheels so I could move it.
(In the wintertime I plan on moving mine into the indoor riding arena. It stays above freezing in there and I can do chores without being in the weather.)

But your coop is great! Good job!

Great idea, Res! We actually thought about this, but it was a little more than we wanted to spend at the time. I'm already making plans for something bigger and better in a few years, though, so it is still in the back of my mind. :) I do love the semi- "free-ranging" aspect of a chicken tractor though.

Escape: Sounds like a good plan. It's so hard with predators, and we have dogs too, that I don't quite trust around them yet. You'll have to let me know how it goes and send pictures of the whole thing in action.

It's awful that the manufacturers do that, because if I had never came across this website, I probably would have had six full-sized chickens crammed into a 4' x 2' coop, and would have been disease-ridden within the first six months! I know there are some people who probably won't research the coop beyond what the box says, and will be sorry for it. I'm sure the sellers are just wanting to make the coop appeal to more people who want more chickens, but it seems a little dishonest to me.

I agree. I am so happy that I found this site before I took the plunge. There is so much information to be had from so many helpful people.

Now I am off to TSC to spend some money. (I spent an hour on the DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions". thread and will probably be at TSC for a couple hours. They will have to throw me out! lol)

I agree. I am so happy that I found this site before I took the plunge. There is so much information to be had from so many helpful people.

Now I am off to TSC to spend some money. (I spent an hour on the DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions". thread and will probably be at TSC for a couple hours. They will have to throw me out! lol)

lol, TSC is dangerous. There's one just down the road from me and I have to set a timer, or I'd be in there all day!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom