Show me your quail pens!!!

Pics
That pen is really nice. I wish I had the time to build one that nice. I only have one issue... seems like a snake could get in the egg opening. Granted he could decide to just eat an egg and move on but he might not.

I agree. There are definitely some things that I would change if it were to be outside like that. A raccoon could reach in those openings, too. And in one of his pictures he has the food on the outside and uncovered... I'd worry something could be attracted to that as well. But I think it is really great with a few modifications!

Thanks so much for posting additional pictures! Those stands for the pvc feeders are made of wood (painted)? Did you just glue them? What lids did you use for the end of your pvc feeders the ones I get from Home Depot seems to be thicker pipes with rubber capa you can buy separate. What's the measurement of the slope on your floor so the eggs will roll to the front? What are you using for your water system? Also, how will the milk jugs work for the dust baths?
Pardon the endless questions just want to learn as much as I can!

Yes, the stands for the feeders are just painted pine. I drew them up in my CAD program and then machined them out on my CNC router. I just hot glued them to the PVC pipe.

The caps are called test fittings and are made by Charlotte. I'll attach a photo from Lowe's website. You could just cut circles from wood and caulk them in place.

The slope of my floor drops 2 inches in 24 inches of run. I haven't had a cracked egg yet. Sometimes an egg will get caught in a low spot on the wire and I have to reach in.

I am currently hanging a 1 gallon plastic poultry waterer in each pen. I am looking for a way to have spigots in each pen for automatic watering. I know someone who is using these for quail and says they work well. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chicken-Wat...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item1c27f60bca

I don't use milk jugs for dusting, but like the idea. I currently just use a small tupperware bin which they empty in a single afternoon.

Hope that helps and I'm learning something new everyday.

We are selling this coop / tractor in eastern WA if anyone needs one. Thanks

In this picture the quail tractor with 70 adult Coturnix Quail has been getting moved once a day starting in the far right rear corner of the yard moving side to side and towards the camera position. You can see how the grass close to the fence is a darker shade of green and as you get close to the tractor it is yellowish. Once you get ahead of the tractor you can see the yard is a yellowish color but not as yellow as it is just after the quail have been on it.

In the picture below you can see the shades of grass a bit clearer. The middle of the yard where its the most yellow is where the tractor has recently been. Its kind of hard to tell from the pictures but there was a good amount of weeds in this yard and they are gone where the tractor has been for the most part.

In this picture you can see where the tractor has just been and the part of the yard it has yet to reach. Notice the weeds here and there in the distance where the quail have not been.

In this pic to the left is where the tractor has been and to the right it has yet to reach. If you look hard you can see the weed differences.

In this pic you can see how patchy the grass is and see the weeds a little better.

Here are a couple more pics of the quail tractor. As you can see the birds have plenty of room to move around even though they are stocked at half the so called rule of thumb for Coturnix Quail? Again this tractor is moved at least once a day so the birds are always on fresh greens and have the ability to search for seeds / bugs.

Yes, the stands for the feeders are just painted pine. I drew them up in my CAD program and then machined them out on my CNC router. I just hot glued them to the PVC pipe. The caps are called test fittings and are made by Charlotte. I'll attach a photo from Lowe's website. You could just cut circles from wood and caulk them in place. The slope of my floor drops 2 inches in 24 inches of run. I haven't had a cracked egg yet. Sometimes an egg will get caught in a low spot on the wire and I have to reach in. I am currently hanging a 1 gallon plastic poultry waterer in each pen. I am looking for a way to have spigots in each pen for automatic watering. I know someone who is using these for quail and says they work well. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chicken-Wat...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item1c27f60bca I don't use milk jugs for dusting, but like the idea. I currently just use a small tupperware bin which they empty in a single afternoon. Hope that helps and I'm learning something new everyday.
Thanks for all the info! I found the galvanized oil pans (3x2) at a Reilly's Auto here=] For your condo, how many quails per level do you have?

Its taken me 10 days to upload this. I'd like to post more pics but am still getting "error" This is two 8ftx3ft quail pens. I live in southern Spain. Its midnight as I write and 80 degrees F. I breed what I think are Italian quail ( the males have a chocolate cap) for meat and eggs. The pens are made from scrap and garden wood

Here is mine, need to install shingles, laying away and some on top

Build in egg roller and poo katcher :D

Sorry for all stuff laying there, that's my 69 chevy truck, still fixing it.

Back
Top Bottom