Show me your quail pens!!!

Pics
I'm only starting out so this is my pink rabbit hutch that I only keep 2 quails in at the moment. I still need to get another tarp to put over it on rainy/windy days. Inside the covered area I have a sandbox which is half the size of the house section.

How will your watering system work? Sorry if you've already explained it

The PVC will have chicken nipples and it'll all connect to a 5gal bucket up top. Simple gravity system. I can then refill the bucket as needed instead of refilling smaller containers two or three times per day.

The PVC will have chicken nipples and it'll all connect to a 5gal bucket up top. Simple gravity system. I can then refill the bucket as needed instead of refilling smaller containers two or three times per day.
If you ever put it in the sun, make sure to insulate the bucket. Even reflective tape all over it is enough, but if you don't the water will get up well past 100* on hot days and the birds won't touch it.

If you ever put it in the sun, make sure to insulate the bucket. Even reflective tape all over it is enough, but if you don't the water will get up well past 100* on hot days and the birds won't touch it.

Good idea. It'll be in the garage, at least for now, but I'll have to see if the sun hits it through the window. I'm ready for final assembly and testing tonight, so I'll watch it for a couple days before moving the birds in there.

Another thing I've found with my auto water buckets, it's best to put a "sight tube" on the outside of the bucket so something reminds you of the water level. When you don't have to water every day, you tend to forget.

I just use nylon bung nipples. I drill a hole top and bottom, the nipple fits through the hole and has a nut that secures it from the outside to the bucket. You do the same thing on the top and then run a piece of clear tubing between the barb nipples and you have a level meter.

I'm only starting out so this is my pink rabbit hutch that I only keep 2 quails in at the moment. I still need to get another tarp to put over it on rainy/windy days. Inside the covered area I have a sandbox which is half the size of the house section.

This is adorable!

I'm sure it's fine for a set flock, but I'd be careful introducing in there because the new quail might try to fly and scalp himself (happened to me with the first pen I built)

COs, thanks for the response! I'm looking at doing something similar in connection to my rain barrel system

This is adorable!

I'm sure it's fine for a set flock, but I'd be careful introducing in there because the new quail might try to fly and scalp himself (happened to me with the first pen I built)

COs, thanks for the response! I'm looking at doing something similar in connection to my rain barrel system

True, you might want to put something soft under the wire roof to prevent injuries. Netting, shade cloth, etc.

Thanks for the advice streetmutt and sill. I wonder if simply leaving the lid unhooked would be enough? It's not very heavy. I've got my other birds in other smaller cages and have been tractoring them around the garden. I'll have to start worming them.

Back
Top Bottom