Show me your roosts!

iBoodle

Songster
8 Years
May 10, 2011
Idaho
I need to build my two hens a roost asap. Please post pictures of your roosts so I can get an idea!

Instead of using rounded wood, can I use flat? Peep is missing almost all her toes and it'll be hard for her to grip onto it.

Thanks!

My current roosts:
4439_kernel_and_the_cochins_001.jpg

My old coops roosts:
4439_coop-run_pictures_002.jpg

and the old roosts (she has since changed them) in my grandmother's coop:
4439_grammy_sallys_chickens_at_6wks_5-15_025.jpg

I also use tree branches but you can use a 2x4, either narrow or wide side up. Just round off the corners to make it more comfortable to them and to get rid of splinters. I suggest sand paper for the rounding.

22249_roost1.jpg

I find it convenient to be able to remove mine easily if I want to. Drill a hole in the roost and the support and put a 5" nail through the hole to keep it in place.

22249_roost_nail.jpg

I use a 2x4 mounted on the wall of the coop by shelving brackets. If you live in a place where you get cold winters, I recommend building a roost where your chickens can cover their feet at night. Something like a 2x4 works great. The reason for this is to prevent frost bite in your chickens feet.

I use flat 2x4s. Many folks will say to round them is used flat. I've never done that and never had a problem. One thing I do when buying 2x4s is look for some that are naturally rounded because of bark removal, etc.

I have tree branches, 2x4's wide side and narrow side up. It seems that more and more of my chickens are switching to the branches. If your hen has no toes I would say give a variety and see what she chooses.
110410_finished_coop_007.jpg

The top roost in pic below is a 2x4 wide side up and the bottom roost is a 2x2
110410_duck_roosting_001.jpg

Back
Top Bottom