Show me your roosts!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by iBoodle, Dec 30, 2011.

1. iBoodle

iBoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Idaho
    I need to build my two hens a roost asap. Please post pictures of your roosts so I can get an idea!

Instead of using rounded wood, can I use flat? Peep is missing almost all her toes and it'll be hard for her to grip onto it.

Thanks!

2. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    We used tree branches. We've replaced all of our roosts with tree branches and everyone loves them.

3. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

My current roosts:
    [​IMG]

My old coops roosts:
    [​IMG]

and the old roosts (she has since changed them) in my grandmother's coop:
    [​IMG]

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I also use tree branches but you can use a 2x4, either narrow or wide side up. Just round off the corners to make it more comfortable to them and to get rid of splinters. I suggest sand paper for the rounding.

[​IMG]

I find it convenient to be able to remove mine easily if I want to. Drill a hole in the roost and the support and put a 5" nail through the hole to keep it in place.

[​IMG]

5. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I use a 2x4 mounted on the wall of the coop by shelving brackets. If you live in a place where you get cold winters, I recommend building a roost where your chickens can cover their feet at night. Something like a 2x4 works great. The reason for this is to prevent frost bite in your chickens feet.

6. kittycooks

kittycooks Chillin' With My Peeps

For cold weather roosting tip the 2x4 with the 4-inch side up. Offer more than one choice as a flock may divide up and use separate area's for roosting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. littleflocker

littleflocker Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2011
    Island County WA
    Quote:mine also love the 2x4 [​IMG]

8. Rosaleen

Rosaleen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Danville, Vermont
    You can see roosts on my page....I use flat, especially because of our cold winters here in Vermont.

9. jaj121159

jaj121159 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Northeast Nebraska
    I use flat 2x4s. Many folks will say to round them is used flat. I've never done that and never had a problem. One thing I do when buying 2x4s is look for some that are naturally rounded because of bark removal, etc.

10. Kadjain

Kadjain Chillin' With My Peeps

I have tree branches, 2x4's wide side and narrow side up. It seems that more and more of my chickens are switching to the branches. If your hen has no toes I would say give a variety and see what she chooses.
    [​IMG]
    The top roost in pic below is a 2x4 wide side up and the bottom roost is a 2x2
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by