Show me... your special needs chick/chicken

Quote:
Thank you
smile.png
I don't really think of it as doing anything special. I just do what is right. I have a whole house full of special needs animals. I seem to like them better than "normal" ones, lol.

I understand that, but there are so many that would just cull them and not even give them a chance to live. Over at our local feed store, the old owner (now owned by new people)would kill anything that wasn't "normal" So just taking the time to give them the extra time that they may need is just awesome! I like them too...lol..lots of personality!!!
love.gif

I wanted to add...it is just nice to know that there are so many people out there that are just so nice !!!

Last edited:
I have a brabanta(thats what I was told**Apparently its not...lol) that was almost dead when I got her. I used a wash cloth to help comfort her and nursed her back to health. There were days it looked like she barely made it alive.

She did survive but has always been the dumbest chick we've had. This hen is one not so bright chick..it's actually kind of funny. She's also a runt and doesn't lay as much eggs as the rest and what she does lay are small eggs. But she's pretty.

DSC_1495.jpg

Last edited:
You guys are just all wonderful wonderful people to keep these babies even though they have problems. How many out there would have culled them because they didn't know what to do for them? GREAT CHICKEN MOMMIES AWARD TO YOU ALL!
thumbsup.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif

Well I have a crossed beak chicken named Greta. We have to trim her beak every so often and she always get special time when we feed the flock.
Sorry the pics of her are not the greatest as the roosters have been mating with her a lot this year.

Picture501.jpg

Picture512.jpg

I have a soft spot for the special needs critters, being that I have a son with Downs Syndrome, and it seems rather ironic that I ended up with a Special Needs chick. "Tilt" is a Partridge Bantam Cochin? (we think) that has webbed feet and crossed toes, seems to be virtually fearless, possibly deaf, and is imprinted on me to the point that it tries to hop a ride on my boots every time I walk out into the yard. I noticed that Tilt seemed to be a little smaller, a little clumsier, and seemed to get picked on a bit more than the others when I brought home the second batch of chicks this year, but due to us getting hit by late snow storms, and the necessity of having to keep them in a guinea pig cage in my utility room for a few weeks, the only attention I gave to their feet, was to make sure that they werent tracking poo across the floor when they escaped custody. I made sure Tilt got supplemental food, and after a little while, she would come running when I came into the room, and she started jumping into my hands for protection, and just for company I think. When I moved them outside, she continued to come running when I came outside, and I soon noticed that she appeared lopsided, and I gave her a good going over and that is when I noticed the serious deformity to her feet and legs. She seems to get around ok, but the bigger chickens try to beat her up, so she hangs out near me for protection. I am planning on keeping her and a couple of the smaller bantams as my garden chickens, when I move the rest of the flock to the main coop. She is a cool little bird, and when the stupid bird dog got one of my flock, the only thing that saved the dogs life, was that it wasnt Tilt. I now have her protected by 2 rows of wire mesh fencing and 2 lines of electric fence with the maximum charge I could get.

Quote:
I have a special needs son as well. Mine was born 8weeks premature, needed oxygen, had a heart defect... than with 8-9month he had RsV disease end of september. (he was suppsed to get it in october) that didnt help him either. Now he is 5 1/2 and 2 years behind his peers.
For your Tilt i suggest to put her in a brooder(or brooder like) with 1-2 day old chicks, preferably a rested breed that doesnt see as well in front of them . Silkies and polish are great. growing up with her will give them all company.
Oh i just saw that. My dumdum chicken is a partridge cochim banty as well.

Last edited:
Just an update on Quincy. I had hoped to get her outside more, but the larger she gets, the harder it is for her to hold herself up on one leg. Not sure what to do yet, but I'm not giving up. Instead of taking her outside, which totally frustrates her, I decided to give her a penthouse suite
big_smile.png
She has spent all day sitting and looking out the window and chirping. I think she's happy for now. I sure love this little girl
love.gif

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_00012.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

I will post an update on dumdum later too. I was real busy with the kids out of school, the new puppy, quails hatched last night and14 scovy eggs.
She is in a butt ugly phase right now with a huge beak naked neck and not so much feathers overall.
I'll post a pic later.

Back
Top Bottom