Show me your stunning Sebrights!

My sebright family (and some sebrighty project mixes) <3

Nugget.jpg
2021 Galaxies C.jpg Galaxies.jpg Nugget & Lacey.jpg DL - 1Yr - B.jpg Hens C & D - 2Yr.jpg Junior.jpg Rusty Rooster.jpg

Last edited:
Trouble doesn't care to be held / restrained. She's not shy, though. As a young pullet she would always run or fly to us for treats..... but run away screaming if we tried to pick her up or even touch her. (Wiggled/squirmed if we held her.) So, we gave positive reinforcement for taking food from us and slowly got her to step on our hand. Her sitting on us is always in her control. She stays in a lap or on a shoulder as long as no one is trying to grab her. Trouble's an odd, little, feisty bird with a surplus of personality. Our other bantams are extreme cuddlers. They relax and melt into your body (even fall asleep) when being held. We have a separate bantam coop for them in the winter when it's cold. Trouble is too intense. She is a top hen among chickens weighing 8-15lbs, so we don't dare allow her to be with little chickens her size. She's also very vocal and it sounds like she's saying chicken swears when she's upset. Trouble is even more vocal when broody.

Once she went broody with our bantam orp and we set up a nice "apartment" for them. Unlike other broody pairs, they refused to share and needed separate nests. Once her eggs hatched, Trouble took her chicks and was out of there! She's a good mama but teaches her chicks how to go under the fences to steal strawberries, dust bath in my herb garden, and visit the neighbors. That why she is now only allowed to incubate jumbo orps or sometimes turkey eggs. (Any type of chick that in a couple weeks will grow too large to continue fitting under the fence.)
View attachment 2874747

View attachment 2874763View attachment 2874758View attachment 2874752View attachment 2874766View attachment 2874778
Oh my, that photo of her trying to brood those huge chicks has done me in!!!! 😂😂😂

My broody experience didn't go to well. started with 5 eggs. 2 gone (eaten?), 1 severely cracked, 2 alive at hatch time. 1 hatched but got pecked in the head by another hen and died. I should have separated my broody. :(
Always separate the broody. I learned this the hard way when I tried to reintegrate mama and 4 day olds with the flock. Now I wait 2 weeks.

Sadly my little Brightstar went missing last week. I'm devastated 😥.

Still hoping she will turn up but very worried about her.
Replying to my own post here, but I can report that Brightstar is back!!!!!!

After searching all the neighbours gardens, and putting up leaflets and posting online onocal groups 🙄, she turned up in my garden, having made a secret nest in a place I swear I looked 3 times, with 13 eggs in!!!!!

None were fertile so I ditched the nest and she is now happily back in the flock. I thought I'd never see her again so I'm really happy.

oh wow, how did you get that double lacing?
My original breeding was a sebright to a pekin - this broke up the combination of genes required to make the full and proper lacing. When I bred the first generation chicks there was a "chance" of recombining the lacing genes together but in these girls.. I was missing one - so instead of getting single lace, I got double lace. Very pretty outcome though <3

Back
Top Bottom