Show me you're quail breeder pens/cages

BReeder!

Crossing the Road
6 Years
Mar 12, 2018
Plainfield, IL
My Coop
My Coop
I want to finally build some breeder cages. Show me yours for inspiration. Feel free to include tips, dimensions, and other relevant information.

As some background, I have coturnix quail and have began hatching our own eggs. I currently have 1 community cage and am planning a second one soon along with breeder cages. I want to have 4 or 5 birds together in the breeders - 1 cock and 3 or 4 hens.

Please ignore the one tipped waterer and one feeder. It was feed up time and i wanted to get some pics done and put my phone on the charger.
Screenshot_20190814-110558_Photos.jpg

This is my fav for my smaller breeding groups. Id make it only 18 inchs deep instead of 24 if id built it, so that i didnt have to put my head all the way inside there to get to the back. It was a freebie that had to be rebuilt.

Screenshot_20190814-110605_Photos.jpg

This is a pain because its 7 ft long and my arms aren't long enough to catch the birds. It was 20$ on CL, i added HWC to the bottom. Still a neat design, lightweight.
Screenshot_20190814-110612_Photos.jpg

This is also a pain in the neck. Although the birds Love the nest box full of dirt bath, and they do well w the larger sq footage(6'x18"x18",) it takes two people to catch birds because on top of each side is a door, but the middle section cant be accessed. Free with purchase from a friend. DH added stilts and they are Too High i keep milk crates on each end to step up on and a kitty litter scoop to rake eggs out of reach to me.

ETA: also i Need open air things like this because its the heat we battle here not your cold. Wintertime theyll have to be half tarped up to cope w the humidity in the cold.

Last edited:
Please ignore the one tipped waterer and one feeder. It was feed up time and i wanted to get some pics done and put my phone on the charger.
View attachment 1877621
This is my fav for my smaller breeding groups. Id make it only 18 inchs deep instead of 24 if id built it, so that i didnt have to put my head all the way inside there to get to the back. It was a freebie that had to be rebuilt.

View attachment 1877622
This is a pain because its 7 ft long and my arms aren't long enough to catch the birds. It was 20$ on CL, i added HWC to the bottom. Still a neat design, lightweight.
View attachment 1877625
This is also a pain in the neck. Although the birds Love the nest box full of dirt bath, and they do well w the larger sq footage(6'x18"x18",) it takes two people to catch birds because on top of each side is a door, but the middle section cant be accessed. Free with purchase from a friend. DH added stilts and they are Too High i keep milk crates on each end to step up on and a kitty litter scoop to rake eggs out of reach to me.

ETA: also i Need open air things like this because its the heat we battle here not your cold. Wintertime theyll have to be half tarped up to cope w the humidity in the cold.
I like that first one a lot. Very simple and not of lot of materials.

Wiring old garden hose split down the middle along the door is also in the plans to get from getn bit so often.

Heres a guy that makes some real nice cages on my local CL worth checking out for ideas.

https://batonrouge.craigslist.org/grd/d/cagescages-more-cages/6933616825.html

Screenshot_20190814-115346_Samsung Internet.jpg

Sorry i dont have a pic but my next cage is coming soon, it is a trampoline frame made into a hoop shed, covering 2 of those hanging wire cages with a tin roof. 7 holes. Really neat if you can find a free trampoline frame somewhere.

Wiring old garden hose split down the middle along the door is also in the plans to get from getn bit so often.

Heres a guy that makes some real nice cages on my local CL worth checking out for ideas.

https://batonrouge.craigslist.org/grd/d/cagescages-more-cages/6933616825.html

View attachment 1877660

Sorry i dont have a pic but my next cage is coming soon, it is a trampoline frame made into a hoop shed, covering 2 of those hanging wire cages with a tin roof. 7 holes. Really neat if you can find a free trampoline frame somewhere.
These are nice looking. Wow. They look very light weight too, so I might be able to move them into the garage for winter.

This is giving me all sorts of ideas. :D

I also sometimes like looking at rabbit hutches on CL or wherever too to get some ideas. That can be helpful too cause of course you could put quail in instead of rabbits but nice to see all the different ideas and designs people come up with. I like YouTube too. Have watched a few videos on building rabbit hutches that gave me some good ideas. Unsure of the specific videos atm though. But anyway, I like to look at all the different designs from all different places and then just pick and choose what I like or don’t like about them and mix and match type thing. :D

I haven’t built any yet but that is my plan for when I do. Even now I am getting more ideas to add to the library haha

Back
Top Bottom