Show of your home made cakes.

Harley's girl

Songster
11 Years
Mar 28, 2008
Ohio (way out in the country)
I don't do grocery store cakes. I make mine from scratch and decorate them as well. Here are a few of mine. Lets see your creative cakes.
This is my DD (oldest) 6th b-day cake. We had a tea party
HPIM3146.jpg

This is my DD (youngest) 3rd b-day cake.
HPIM3965.jpg

DD 7th b-day cake. She had a sleepover theme.
HPIM6465.jpg

DD 4th b-day cake. She loves her barbies!!
HPIM7361.jpg

Those are cute! I especially love the slumber party cake!

Here are a few I've done..

Squirrel smash cake for my dd's first birthday (her in utero nickname was Squirrel)
3582852918_c4741ffe53_o.jpg

Spiderman smash cake for my nephew....
3582852962_0bc0e4868a_o.jpg

And the after photo lol
3582067905_172ec33a64_o.jpg

And a couple of cakes I did for my girls. These were my first two tries using marshmallow fondant...
3582852954_49aa14d4e2_o.jpg

3582852950_3e9eba2be6_o.jpg

Now I need to figure out how to do an Incredible Hulk smash cake for my other nephew next the month....not feeling too confident about that one lol

OMGoodness! I about choked! LOL The eaten cake is awesome!!
gig.gif

The other cakes are beautiful!!! My oldest just waled past and said "Oooh, mama I love that squirrel cake.....OOOOHHHH!!! Those are so pretty!!!!"

She was talking about the fondant! I have never tried fondant. Is it hard to use?

I would say fondant is more "involved" than it is hard. It's not easy - I conveniently took pictures of those cakes that didn't show off the ugly bits LOL - but it wasn't terribly hard. It was mostly MESSY and took a lot of time. It isn't necessary, but I think it also helps to have some extra tools (oversize rolling pin, cutters, etc). It was worth it though, I had fun. I've heard that fondant tastes pretty nasty, but this was marshmallow fondant (you can google for the recipe...basically marshmallows, water, crisco, and powered sugar) and it tasted pretty good (just too sweet to eat! lol).

The numbers were really easy - just dyed gum paste rolled out (like a worm), shaped, and left to dry.

My kids always ask me to make their cakes,this year I had short notice for my daughters as she could not decide what she wanted so I had to use what I had in the house and get it all done in an hour...She loved it!!

29735_rockstar_cake.jpg

Back
Top Bottom