Show Off Your Biggest Thanksgiving Turkey!! (Graphic Pics)

The broad breasted types sure get huge!

We raise Bourbons and Narragansett, this year we grew out Narragansett for Thanksgiving, March hatch. They ranged from 15lbs to 17lbs dressed. Next year will be March hatch Bourbons.

We have about 90lbs of Turkey in the freezer now. 3 more to do still.

View attachment 1969089
That's a lot of turkey in the freezer.

We raise a Giant White and a Broad Breasted Bronze every year. The past few years, our birds have been to big to easily cook and the meat has been tough and dry because we let them get too big. This year we butchered a little earlier and got an 11 pounder and one who was only 5 pounds. The small turkey was weird because she wouldn't eat very much, she'd just forage all day. It will be interesting to see how smaller turkeys taste. Just got them in a food grade bucket to brine.

The only reason I got her was to try and get over my fear of turkeys. She was young and at a swap. $15.00 I figured was a good price. When I was young my mom took me to an uncles house where there was a turkey that looked much like yours here . We got out of the car and that thing straight up targeted me and scared me to death ! I remember running in circles around the his house w/ that tom on my heals while grown ups sat on the porch laughing hysterically. She was super sweet and gave me eggs. She even went broody once ! Hurt me to cull her but I had tried for a while to help her and I guess she got too heavy and it effected her legs.
:gig funny yet sad ending

We raise a Giant White and a Broad Breasted Bronze every year. The past few years, our birds have been to big to easily cook and the meat has been tough and dry because we let them get too big. This year we butchered a little earlier and got an 11 pounder and one who was only 5 pounds. The small turkey was weird because she wouldn't eat very much, she'd just forage all day. It will be interesting to see how smaller turkeys taste. Just got them in a food grade bucket to brine.
Our Turkey's were grown out at 6-7 months old for slaughter.
How long did you let your's grow for them to be tough?

Back
Top Bottom