Show off your Black Australorp

Pics
First time in here, I'm usually posting pics of my younger girls.
jumpy.gif

Was told this one's an Australorp, so here we go! She's about a year old now, I guess.
We don't actually know when she hatched, we were told she was roughly eight months old when we got her four/five-ish months ago. She's the only one of our six girls who will gladly eat out of our hands, but won't let us touch her unless she's already settled in for the night. We were told she originally came off a farm and wasn't really looked after, or handled, much. There was also a little girl who used to chase her, apparently.

She's quite haughty and even tried to take on our next door neighbours roo (when they had him) through the fence!

Her and the Red Star she came with were our very first two hens.
smile.png

^ I was sitting with my two younger girls in their coop and she was eyeing me off as if I was fraternising with the 'enemy'.
lol.png

^ She's in this photo, I swear!

Last edited:
When can the Australorp chicks go outside? 4weeks old and wanting to put my leghorn chick outside I think is ready, but don't want to put the leghorn outside alone at four weeks out from under the lamp. I want them to transition together so it's not a lonely transition.

Depends on average temp. and weather conditions outdoors of where you live, if you'll have a heat lamp in the outdoor coop, how feathered your chicks are, how many chicks you have (since they can huddle together for warmth if needed - easier when there are more than just a couple) etc. Generally anywhere from three weeks old to six weeks old though.

This is Mr. Sleepy. (He was that chick that was constantly nodding off while standing up).

He was the sire to a number of black sexlink chicks, until predators got his Barred Rock Ladies. He survived without a scratch.

His daughters have been good layers, laying right through the winter (at least here in sunny San Diego).

I just had the thought that I might enter him in the fair, even though I've never showed any of my chickens before. I think he's a handsome bird.

I welcome any feedback from anyone about how he looks in relation to the SOP. I think he tend to carry his tail higher than 40 degrees (as you can see in this picture).

Alternatively, if anybody is interested in buying him, let me know.

These pics are a bit out dated from 1.5-2 months ago, my Australorps are still under 1 year old till end of April. It's hard to get new pics with all this snow.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom