Show Off Your Drakes!

Thank you! I saw your Henry at the beginning of this post. How old is he? Has he always had the markings around his eyes? Mine is from Holderreads as well and the female has the eye stripes, but I keep wondering if he will develop them with age. These were all April hatchlings.

Yes, he has always had those markings around his eyes, but when we bought him, he was already a year old, so I don't know what he looked like when he was younger.

I want very badly to get Golden Cascade ducklings from Holderread's this spring. Guess we'll have to wait and see how full the duck pen is at that point.

Here are some recent pics of Henry:

In this one, you can also see our Magpie Drake in the middle.
IMG_9647.JPG

And in this one, Henry stands near his sons, whose other half is Cayuga.
IMG_9661.JPG

@Krazyquilts He's so handsome!!!

Ours were so adorable as ducklings! I'm keeping the female, Edith, but we just have a small flock, so I just don't have a way to separate drakes or I would keep them all!

@Krazyquilts He's so handsome!!!

Ours were so adorable as ducklings! I'm keeping the female, Edith, but we just have a small flock, so I just don't have a way to separate drakes or I would keep them all!

Thank you! And I know what you mean about too many drakes. :-( Right now we have 4 adult-ish drakes (Henry, a Magpie drake, and Henry's two GC-Cayuga sons) plus two Ancona drake ducklings so 6 males compared to only 9 females. Waaaay too many boys. I absolutely want to keep Henry and the Magpie and one of the Anconas (which is still probably too many males for 9 females), but the other Ancona doesn't have good markings (looks more like a Magpie) and I just can't justify keeping both (or either) of the GC-Cayuga drakes.

I've thought about letting the excess 3 males free-range during the day and have a separate coop at night, but at the same time, I *do* like smoked duck. I keep feeling torn about it.

Thank you! And I know what you mean about too many drakes. :-( Right now we have 4 adult-ish drakes (Henry, a Magpie drake, and Henry's two GC-Cayuga sons) plus two Ancona drake ducklings so 6 males compared to only 9 females. Waaaay too many boys. I absolutely want to keep Henry and the Magpie and one of the Anconas (which is still probably too many males for 9 females), but the other Ancona doesn't have good markings (looks more like a Magpie) and I just can't justify keeping both (or either) of the GC-Cayuga drakes.

I've thought about letting the excess 3 males free-range during the day and have a separate coop at night, but at the same time, I *do* like smoked duck. I keep feeling torn about it.

Smoked, huh? Never considered smoking them. We have butchered plenty of chickens and that's what will have to happen to these guys if we don't get any more takers. I've never prepared any duck in any way, though, so I've been hesitant. *Sigh* Farm life...

Smoked, huh? Never considered smoking them. We have butchered plenty of chickens and that's what will have to happen to these guys if we don't get any more takers. I've never prepared any duck in any way, though, so I've been hesitant. *Sigh* Farm life...

We have purchased a few fresh ducks from the farmers market. Very tasty smoked, with platters placed underneath to catch the drippings to use in making stock or frying potatoes.

I have never processed anything in my life, but my husband hunts and has helped friends process meat chickens. It's something I feel I need to do if I want to continue on as a meat eater. If I can't deal with the fact that something had to die in order for me to eat meat, then I shouldn't eat meat. (My own personal views for my own life, not saying that other people need to feel the same way.)

We have purchased a few fresh ducks from the farmers market. Very tasty smoked, with platters placed underneath to catch the drippings to use in making stock or frying potatoes.

I have never processed anything in my life, but my husband hunts and has helped friends process meat chickens. It's something I feel I need to do if I want to continue on as a meat eater. If I can't deal with the fact that something had to die in order for me to eat meat, then I shouldn't eat meat. (My own personal views for my own life, not saying that other people need to feel the same way.)

I hear you! I struggle with it as well and I make my husband do the actual deed. Once they're gone I can do it, but it never gets easier for me. Just who I am, but I definitely appreciate knowing where my food came from and that the animal lived a happy life and died humanely.

Loving all the pics!! :love

I hatched 12 call ducks. 9 are drakes. :th
I finally rehomed 6, so i still have 3 of each. Calls pair up a little more than large breeds, so at the moment, it's going ok. I may have to rehome one more. :(

Oh, and i have 8 + 15 (different due dates) call eggs in the incubator. :oops:

@Georgina Fritznoodle pretty boys!! How old are they?

Thanks!

Aflac, Merlin, Pinky, and Joey are about 2 years old. The rest of the drakes range from 9-12 weeks in age

I love that fifth pic where they are all looking up at the sky.

Very handsome boys!

Thanks!

I absolutely love your Golden Cascade drake! He's gorgeous! :love

Loving all the pics!! :love

I hatched 12 call ducks. 9 are drakes. :th
I finally rehomed 6, so i still have 3 of each. Calls pair up a little more than large breeds, so at the moment, it's going ok. I may have to rehome one more. :(

Oh, and i have 8 + 15 (different due dates) call eggs in the incubator. :oops:

Nine drakes! :eek: That's crazy! I've always had more girls than boys in my hatches.

Good luck on your upcoming hatches!

Back
Top Bottom