Show off your Emus! (Or Rheas/Ostritches!)

Balor

In the Brooder
Oct 23, 2019
Hello fellow emu enthusiasts!

I noticed that similar threads were posted in other poultry forums allowing people to show off their birds, but our section appeared to be lacking it! Therefore, I created this one!

Show off your birds in all the glory, whether it be a picture of them, or a video of them doing their "spazzy dances!"

Stories are welcome, as are all ratites!
(That includes tame-wild ones too! @briefvisit) :woot

I don't personally own any ostriches or emus, but my grandfather raised them when I was a child. He used to incubate the ostrich eggs and raise the ostrich for meat for local restaurants.

I still remember when he pulled out the ostrich eggs from the incubator and had me candle them with him... I was amazed!

I plan on raising emus within the next two years.

I don't personally own any ostriches or emus, but my grandfather raised them when I was a child. He used to incubate the ostrich eggs and raise the ostrich for meat for local restaurants.

I still remember when he pulled out the ostrich eggs from the incubator and had me candle them with him... I was amazed!

I plan on raising emus within the next two years.

Sounds like quite the childhood experience!
Never see a whole lot regarding ostriches on here, so cool that someone else has had experiences with them!

Also, I'll be expecting some pictures on here about two years from now then! :lau

https://imgur.com/xn3Dqru

I don't think there are clips of wild emus spazzy dancing anywhere on the Net except here. Note that this 'combo running and dancing' is more so what the wild birds do. Yes, there is the 'in situ' part sometimes with pairs facing each other. (Chicks love to do this.) But very often the dance then turns into the 'running dance' you see here, and sometimes they cover hundreds of yards, perhaps not even returning for ten or fifteen minutes.
SE

https://imgur.com/xn3Dqru

I don't think there are clips of wild emus spazzy dancing anywhere on the Net except here. Note that this 'combo running and dancing' is more so what the wild birds do. Yes, there is the 'in situ' part sometimes with pairs facing each other. (Chicks love to do this.) But very often the dance then turns into the 'running dance' you see here, and sometimes they cover hundreds of yards, perhaps not even returning for ten or fifteen minutes.
SE

So spazzy dancing can turn into spazzy sprinting... how interesting! Thank you for your knowledge once more!

Also, I find the lack of emus in this thread..... disturbing. Calling all ratite lovers! Where they at!

The chicks Alpha and Omega were always my favourites in this, Balor.

So, they'd come out from their roost with Eric at first light. Then they'd do the classic face-each-other-breast-to-ground-jump-up a couple of times. And then they'd go completely nutso, and (with their little legs) blast off into hundreds of yards of 'spazzy running' around the clearing.

Here they are, a little older, after a spring swim in the dam with their Dad. You can see a fence, but there were various gates. Then I bribed the real-estate guys to let me cut the back fence away.
But seriously, we owe a great deal to these two, who were the subject of the first serious observations of wild chicks.

SE

Attachments

• 200x200px-ZC-fc874c6b_CHICKSWIMTWO.jpeg
    200x200px-ZC-fc874c6b_CHICKSWIMTWO.jpeg
    14.3 KB · Views: 60

Back
Top Bottom