Show Off Your Games!

It sounds to me that the Spanish were recessive whites. Here is how it's supposed to work. For an example I will be using a true BBRed/ wildtype color that has bred true to color for 40 years and assuming that the recessive whites are wildtype BBRed under the white. This is an example only
Wildtype colored rooster x recessive white hen.

The resulting offspring colors should be this. Both of these will be carrying one copy/gene of recessive white, they need 2 copies to fully express itself. Sometimes there will be a little bit of white ticking on these, but not always. Some look just as clean as the red parent. When you breed these two together, having one copy of recessive white you should theoretically get 25% white chicks. These 2 are split to white.

As in this example: 25% will be true BBRed/ wildtype in color.

50% will be BBRed in color, but will be split for recessive white and...

25% will be white. These 2 whites will be BBRed under the white, because we started with BBRed/ wildtype colors to start with.

The recessive white will work the same way with whatever base color you start with.

Sounds about right... regarding the ressesive white.

My first time breeding BBR American rooster over the pure spanish white hens produced a variety of colors including, BBR, White and Brown Reds chicks... In fact 3 roosters turned out Brown Red.

I kept the best one Brown Red rooster (Franky Black) and two hens (one white and one BBR).

Franky Black

BBR hen (wheaton I think)

Yeah dont know much about the history of White Kelsos. yeah sorry I go off on tangents sometimes and start showing off pictures and stories. lol

No it's ok i love to see the results of other breeders which would otherwise take me years to discover :))

Since we're into off colors, may I ask you how the grey color is inherited? (It being a sex-linked gene and so on) I've only bred straight greys but am now currently breeding grey cock to red hen and vice versa.

Since we're into off colors, may I ask you how the grey color is inherited? (It being a sex-linked gene and so on) I've only bred straight greys but am now currently breeding grey cock to red hen and vice versa.
I wish I knew... I mixed Grey with BBR a lot... I alway ended up with mixed results... hatch grey and BBR usually... I didnt breed grey to grey very often so I never had true (silver) grey cocks.

I wish I knew... I mixed Grey with BBR a lot... I alway ended up with mixed results... hatch grey and BBR usually... I didnt breed grey to grey very often so I never had true (silver) grey cocks.

They say that true silver grey cock to straight red hens will produce grey stags and red hens. Is this your results? I have 9 grey cock to red hen eggs to hatch on jan 17 lets see what happens.

They say that true silver grey cock to straight red hens will produce grey stags and red hens. Is this your results? I have 9 grey cock to red hen eggs to hatch on jan 17 lets see what happens.
Examples are Greys (Silver duckwings)
In my experience with breeding a true grey (silver duckwing) cock to a red hen...

...has always produced silver pullets and golden cockerels, cockerels are split for silver and red making them golden.

Breeding a red cock to a grey (silver duckwing) hen...

...has always produced golden cockerels and red pullets

I am not a genetics expert, I am just sharing my experience. Other color bases will work the same way as I just explained. On rare occasions there seems to be a few exceptions to the rule depending on the line. In this example as I explained it the cocks and hens need to be pure for the color explained. Some red lines are a deeper red and on the color crosses you can get cockerels with deep red shoulders making it a bit more difficult to get clean greys.

Last edited:
Sounds about right... regarding the ressesive white.

My first time breeding BBR American rooster over the pure spanish white hens produced a variety of colors including, BBR, White and Brown Reds chicks... In fact 3 roosters turned out Brown Red.

I kept the best one Brown Red rooster (Franky Black) and two hens (one white and one BBR).

Franky Black
Franky Black is a splendid colored cock! I like the sharp contrast of fiery golden and black.

Some local craigslist cross breeds... I forgot who mentioned they wanted to cross breed RIR with Games... but here is what they will look like. Only $10 each

00404_38mhAEg21Ek_600x450.jpg
00Z0Z_71QDUBZuIJF_600x450.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom