Show Off Your Games!

OK so since we are talking about Pumpkin Hulseys, is there a standard color pattern for them, is there a preference of leg color, how would you know if it is a Pumpkin Hulsey or not??? I ask because I have some from supposed good source and I prefer white legs but some of mine have yellow also. I have the pumpkin color down I think!!!! Thanks for any help, Lynn
cool.png

Quote:
Curious, if they're Pumpkin Hulseys, why do I see pea combs, some slate and some white or yellow legs, and some with quite the beefy bodies while others have a more true, gamefowl type body? The first one just doesn't look purebred, and the last one has slate legs unlike the rest.

Just curious is all.

You know, I kinda browsed over them before.. Thought they looked OK. But since you mention it, the more I look the more they look a bit off.. Of course, they are only two dollars? The legs and pea combs aren't a big deal to me though..

-Daniel

ETA: Another red flag, notice in the pictures the wire in one pen looks like the same thing for another, meaning the pens are probably just separated by that piece of wire... No way my birds could be that close.

ya'll should do your research and see just what the Pumpkin Hulsey's are actually made up of..their lineage..their history. Their is a percentage that will come peacomb..a very small percentage yes.

here's a bit of info for ya..

"These were the basic bloodlines of the E.H. Hulsey fowls when Henry Wortham came on the scene. That is, half (1/2) Rroundhead, quarter ()1/4) Claret, quarter (1/4) Barret Wonder. At this time the fowl came both peacomb and straight comb and one could breed to which ever trait they liked."

that's just a tidbit..after other's got hold of them, there were plenty more bloodlines infused.

OK so you got my attention so where did you find this tidbit of information if I may ask, I truly am interested in learning all I can about the PHs as I love the color of the ones I have and I want to keep their gameness as I continue to breed them, is there any information on breeding them as for color or has anyone tried to put a Standard together for showing them, yes I know a lot of you don't show the birds you have but I think breeding to a standard of some sort is good for the breed and it gives me something to look at and try to accomplish. I love gamefowl and wish to help in preserving them in any way I can, I know that a lot of the old bloodlines are lost forever but I would like to be one that helps preserve what we do have now!!! Lynn in Oklahoma!
cool.png

Quote:

Also I have a few pics of some of my birds to share, any comments good or bad are welcome, Thanks, Lynn

10175_2004-01-01_2010_stags_004.jpg
My favorite PH stag!!!

10175_2004-01-14_birds_and_pigs_011.jpg
Another shot of PH Stag!!!

10175_2004-01-18_1132011_dottys_new_pigs_and_brat_lil_sis_006.jpg
This is"BRAT" He is the first gamefowl I raised this year and My Favorite on the yard! He is 1/2 Blue Toppy and 1/2 Hatch?

10175_2004-01-18_1132011_dottys_new_pigs_and_brat_lil_sis_005.jpg
This is"Lil Sis" Brats only full sibling!

10175_2004-01-14_birds_and_pigs_099.jpg
This is a Dark Red Stag out of Spangled Toppy Roo and a BrownRed Toppy hen, I really like him!!!

10175_2004-01-14_birds_and_pigs_105.jpg
Another shot of the Dark Red Toppy Stag!

10175_2004-01-14_birds_and_pigs_035.jpg
Parents to the Dark Red Stag!!!
10175_2004-01-01_my_2010_christmas_present_030.jpg
Brats dad and a Dun Toppy hen

10175_2_light_red_hen_in_with_sp_toppy_cock.jpg
Brats mom

Thanks for looking, Lynn
cool.png

Quote:
Oof... you should take a drive down to LA... there are a bunch of back yard breeders that have some nice SQ stock for sale... i see them sometimes at the feedstores... i guess they trade them in for feed or equipment... last time i saw a cage with 10 asil roosters and hens... gorgeous birds... i almost got some, but i have OEGB and don't want the loud standard gamebirds...

check out ovabid... sometimes you'll find a local breeder that will offer local pickup...

Quote:

I actually have tons of "tidbits" of information on all kinds of gamefowl and their histories. Binders, journals, you name it..i've likely got it. I can't say too much more than that. You're welcome to pm me if you would like some help.

Can someone explain to my why a red hen that came from a Golden Duckwing line of games is still called a grey and is there any way to breed the red out of a grey line that has it, I am interested in some Greys but I want a grey line that has grey hens that are silver duckwing pattern, any ideas where I can get some chicks or eggs from a reliable source at a reasonable price? Thanks, Lynn

Quote:
Greybear23,

In respect to games, the color type designation I use for an individual is a function of that individuals genotype / phenotype, not what itas parents looked like. If hen does not carry grey gene, then she is not called a grey.

When we had grey gene in out flock, golden duckwing birds that were heterozygous for grey gene with red, golden duckwing roosters had white hackles and wing primaries while shoulder and saddle were yellow to reddish. Roosters that were homozygous for grey gene were as you desire with white shoulder and saddle as well. In reality, when a heterozygous and homozygous birds were compared in respect to hackles and saddle, the heterozygous birds appeared somewhat yellow.

If I am correct about genetics of your birds, then breeding a golden duckwing rooster to a grey hen should throw 50% silver duckwing male offspring.

Last edited:
Thanks, so if I get a Silver Duckwing cock and breed it to a red color pattern Hatch or Roundhead hen then I should get some Silver duckwing cocks and I would breed these to a grey hen and get mostly grey or Silver duckwing chicks and a few reds??? Thanks, Lynn

Quote:
Greybear23,

In respect to games, the color type designation I use for an individual is a function of that individuals genotype / phenotype, not what itas parents looked like. If hen does not carry grey gene, then she is not called a grey.

When we had grey gene in out flock, golden duckwing birds that were heterozygous for grey gene with red, golden duckwing roosters had white hackles and wing primaries while shoulder and saddle were yellow to reddish. Roosters that were homozygous for grey gene were as you desire with white shoulder and saddle as well. In reality, when a heterozygous and homozygous birds were compared in respect to hackles and saddle, the heterozygous birds appeared somewhat yellow.

If I am correct about genetics of your birds, then breeding a golden duckwing rooster to a grey hen should throw 50% silver duckwing male offspring.

Back
Top Bottom