Show Off Your Games!

Thanks for the information DT. I googled the varieties you mentioned and I do see the resemblance. I was actually on your website this morning, really enjoyed it.

I am a rookie to raising chickens and recently acquired a small flock of 5 hens and 2 roosters, all American Game chickens. Just introduced the 2nd rooster and the results were I suppose as expected.....I came out this a.m. to find the white rooster beaten and bloodied.....thought he was dead but when I went to remove him he popped up on his feet and steadied himself. Not sure that he will make it through the day but if he does, I will endeavor to treat his wounds. Feel terrible but my coop isn't huge based upon limited resources. Took them from a friend who is moving and has no space for them. Guess I will try to free range tehm on my single acre to hopefully avoid this in the future.

I am a rookie to raising chickens and recently acquired a small flock of 5 hens and 2 roosters, all American Game chickens. Just introduced the 2nd rooster and the results were I suppose as expected.....I came out this a.m. to find the white rooster beaten and bloodied.....thought he was dead but when I went to remove him he popped up on his feet and steadied himself. Not sure that he will make it through the day but if he does, I will endeavor to treat his wounds. Feel terrible but my coop isn't huge based upon limited resources. Took them from a friend who is moving and has no space for them. Guess I will try to free range tehm on my single acre to hopefully avoid this in the future.
If they are true games you will never keep this from happening in the future. It is all a matter of age that keeps them from fighting, young birds can free range together but by 6-7 months old (some game up even sooner) they're going to kill each other.

I lost two stags last year I believe it was because by about 3 and a half months old they started fighting each other very seriously and I wasn't able to get close enough to seperate them; they were full brothers raised together. They ran off into the woods fighting and I never saw them again after that so I assume they killed each other.

Even this year, I have two Arkansas Traveler brothers that have started fighting off and on and they are only two and a half months old maybe. It isn't terribly bad because they aren't completely gamed up now and do seperate temporarily, but give them three months maybe or so and they will probably kill each other without human intervention.

That is how gamefowl are; if you want them alive you separate them or keep only one cock. There is no method to "cure" them of this, it is a genetic situation that trying to cure on some will exhaust you (because they are not true game) and on other strains will be completely impossible. I even have had game crosses be game enough to cause severe fights and some of those crosses were with a Silkie which might be the least gamey bird I've ever seen!
lau.gif
(The Silkie blood wasn't an intentional cross, aunt had her Silkie cock out free ranging and he bred a free ranged game hen).

I'm actually surprised the cock is still alive, most will beat on a bird until he dies or even after he is dead (at least the stock we've raised) unless they just give out from pure exhaustion and then you'll find them laying right beside each other.

God bless,
Daniel.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the info. I was quite surprised he survived at all (not sure if that's truly the case as I haven't made it home yet to check). I suspected this would happen as the guy that I got them from said that he had seen them go at it a bit but they usually seperated because he free ranged them. I toyed with getting rid of the rooster by giving him to someone else -- hindsight is always 20/20! And based upon your info and what he told me about them I would bet that they are right around 8 months old, give or take. I am just fine with only one cock bird around as he should be more than enough for the hens that I have. Just a shame since that other bird was a nice looking specimen....white body with some black scattered throughout and a blackish-green tail. I will say that I am really enjoying having them around and hope to become more informed as it goes along. Thanks again and I look forward to hearing from you.

May God Bless You as well!

Ed

UPDATE: My son just told me that he went out to check and that bird is up walking around.....man, that's a tough bird. I am a hunter and have seen bigger creatures not survive that kind of damage.

Latest: Unfortunately, I had to put the fellow down last night. He had some sort of neurological issues as well as the physical problems. Boys helped bury him and made their own cross. Looks like we're a one rooster family. From what I have seen it seems that we have a decent ratio with the one cock to 5 hens.

Guderian41, sorry to hear about your loss, you have learned a valuable lesson with game fowl, it is a hard lesson for beginners, the game fowl are absolutely gorgeous and they are the most regal of all fowl in my opinion, their courage is beyond any other, It sounds like you have yourself a great start of one to five, you can breed these individually and carry out your bloodlines for a long time, or you can just free range and let nature take its course. I will worn you that these game fowl will range beyond your 1 acre, so if you have neighbors or neighbor dogs and such that may harm them or your birds may offend, then be prepared to pen them in a nice run and house, JMO! Please post some pics of your birds for all to share. Lynn

I appreciate the sentiments and yes, it has been quite the learning experience. I was planning to let them out of the run in the evenings while I am around so that they can free range a bit. We do have neighbors with dogs and those that do have the yards fenced in. Still debating what I am going to do about letting them out during the day other than just expanding my run. I will snap some pics this weekend weather permitting.

Back
Top Bottom