Show Off Your Games!

How many stags in that group je? Or are you keeping them separate? I free range too, and have to lock up some of them. I just keep one stag who was dominent anyway with the hens that were with him.

You've been lucky I think or small hawks :idunno This was a hawk eating my grown AG hen that was laying everyday :(
That sucks. A baby chicken isn't a big deal because you havent put a whoe lot of time, care and food into it, but a gown hen is a different story. Specially if they are over a year old. I as looking at pic and i think the ones that come down at my place are falcons or small hawks. This is a picture that i took. He is standing on a 2x6 thats nailed to a 4x4. i took it down a while back. They are a bit smaller than my chickens so maybe thats why they dont attack a grown hen and only go after the smaller ones.
Yeah your hawk looks like a small one, the one that got ours was pretty big :barnie

We freerange too but found out the hard way when the stags were around 10 months old we had about 5 kill each other.......
sad.png
I hear that...mine are in the eight month range. Had to grab four...two will be kept as back up...two will not. I deluded myself thinking they were probably not true game...boy, did they show me. Several younger ones are still ok to free range. Still learning as I go.

How many stags in that group je? Or are you keeping them separate? I free range too, and have to lock up some of them. I just keep one stag who was dominent anyway with the hens that were with him.

There are four under the feeder, but they are not a group. They are only all together because the feeder just went off. Normally they are in their own individual groups which consist of one stag and two or three hens. I have been getting rid of them as fast as I can, but I had a lot to get rid of. Got a guy coming this weekend to get one in fact. I don't have a place to keep them separate in. All my pens are devoted to my Cubalaya breeding efforts. So far they seem to be fine and keep to their own areas. Their father is two years old and he runs free with all the other roosters as well with no problem. If his sons are like him, I should not have a problem.

Found this thread and decided I should show off some of mine.
wink.png

This guy is one heck of a mix... He's got, I believe three or four different breeds in him.. Blue?/Dom/Grey. He's one of the best roosters I've got, though. Super sweet bird.

To the left is my sweater rooster, a hatch hen and my Hatch/Sweater mixed hen, Lucky in the back. To the right is my Hatch rooster and one of my Hatch hens. All very good birds.

Here's my Law Grey.. also one of my best birds. <sigh> I guess they're all my best birds.
roll.png

Below I've got a whole bunch of pictures of my hens and chicks, they're not as camera shy, haha.

Above are all Hatch hens.

Above are all Sweater hens.​

Above are some of my many 2012 chicks.

Oh wow, too many pictures, I'll stop there. I could go on and on uploading, but I'd never get off here!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom