Show Off Your Games!

I'd wait until the stag is at least 10 months before dubbing; however, so do it much earlier and some much later: your call really.

I'd wait until the stag is at least 10 months before dubbing; however, so do it much earlier and some much later: your call really.
I have a couple of questions about some games.

I have been captured by the beautiful color of the Pumpkin Hulsey. What are those color genes doing to get that lovely shade?

Is anybody selling Modern Game eggs or chicks? Ideal has a waiting list into next year and so far the people I have reached are in a building stage themselves and don't have anything for sale.

If you want Modern Games stay away from a hatchery by all means! The best in the country belong to Bill Wulff. He will sell you some.

As to pumpkin: others can tell you the genes involved. I can only tell you how it 'works' from practical experience. It's not that I don't care about genetics; I do. As a matter of fact, between my Vet brother and sister-in-law and my soon to be medical student son, this doctor enjoys reading well written genetic text. However, when it comes to chicken colors I keep it as simple as I can; I enjoy it more that way.

They seem to be healing up, but I was just wondering if I could just go on and do it so they could just heal up once. They mainly just seem to loose the points of the comb to freezing. I just don't want them to get infected, mainly.If you could keep them in groups of 40 or 50 they could stay a lot warmer, but that is just one of the joys of gamefowl I suppose.

You have to watch dubbing too soon as the bird can continue to grow comb/wattles after dubbing if it is not fully matured. Thus needing to be dubbed again later. Kind of all depends on how fast maturing the line is as to how successful the dubbing will be on a young bird.

I dub around 8 mo. Peacomb not bad but straight comb gets harder after 8 mo or so cause the base gets fat quick and it doesn't look as good.

I have a couple of questions about some games.

I have been captured by the beautiful color of the Pumpkin Hulsey. What are those color genes doing to get that lovely shade?

Is anybody selling Modern Game eggs or chicks? Ideal has a waiting list into next year and so far the people I have reached are in a building stage themselves and don't have anything for sale.

Don't get Moderns from Ideal. The ones I got were some of the ugliest birds I've had, not to mention weak. I had one die a few days after arriving, and the other die at a few months old. It got wet in the rain was dead the next day (in temperatures of 80+). Their legs were the same as any other chickens and they had weird heads. My Madagascars turned out fairly well, but I'm not going to get Moderns from a hatchery again.

Here is a picture of one of them.

If you want Modern Games stay away from a hatchery by all means! The best in the country belong to Bill Wulff. He will sell you some.

As to pumpkin: others can tell you the genes involved. I can only tell you how it 'works' from practical experience. It's not that I don't care about genetics; I do. As a matter of fact, between my Vet brother and sister-in-law and my soon to be medical student son, this doctor enjoys reading well written genetic text. However, when it comes to chicken colors I keep it as simple as I can; I enjoy it more that way.

I forgot to put the Bantam with the Modern Game. When I looked Bill Wulff up online it looks like he does the LF Red Pyle Modern Game and OE Red Pyle bantams. Though after seeing a picture of some quality Red Pyle Old English lately I may contact him for some of those. The BMG fascinate me because they look so much like tiny dinosaurs. When I was 4, Jack and Jill, a children's magazine, ran a series on dinosaurs. Each month would be a new article about a new dinosaur. By the time I was going into first grade I could properly pronounce Tyrannosaurus Rex, Brontosaurus, Triceratops, and Diplodicus, the two legged, long necked egg stealing small dinosaur. It is this last one that these Modern Games bring to mind. Indeed, while I was in elementary school I thought about becoming a paleontologist.

Back
Top Bottom