Show Off Your Games!

[/quote]
B E A utiful.. what kind of gamefowl rooster? American game or
OEG?

I can shoot critters all day on weekends except when at church. Foxes simply have a similar work schedule and come Monday through Friday but usually Tuesdays. When they came at night it is very hard to get a clean shot at a trotting fox when flashlight covered in dew. I also had to loose a few birds before I new when to schedule meeting of lead and fox. Dogs make so fox and hawk always have secretary at the door to take care of predator's needs.
All I can is, I would never do anything like that. My quote below makes it pretty clear how I feel about compassion.

All I can is, I would never do anything like that. My quote below makes it pretty clear how I feel about compassion.

I meant as sarcasm. Shooting I have employed but it is not a cost effective option. I like wildlife as well. Dogs for me provide a very effective repellent making so most critters find going after birds too risky so they seldom invest the effort. In a predator dense situation I have, without dogs repelling most bad guys a great deal more would simply be killed to protect the free-range juveniles and hens. Occasionally dogs catch predator but it is not everyday.

Anybody have suggestions for a small tree, shrub or plant that works well inside a chicken coop/pen? Should be able to survive typical chicken abuse and prefereably something they can eat.

In my aviarie's at my dad's I use Fig trees, and one has a cactus too. but I was looking for somehting smaller.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about that too. If I lived somewhere tropical I thought Moringa would be nice because of its nutritive properties. But here I'm guessing I need to try some berry. You could surround the bush in wire so that the birds get the benefit without killing the plant.

I've been thinking about that too. If I lived somewhere tropical I thought Moringa would be nice because of its nutritive properties. But here I'm guessing I need to try some berry. You could surround the bush in wire so that the birds get the benefit without killing the plant.
Not a bad idea about thee wire, except you loose living space. I could just plant the bush just behind my coop and whatever grows through the wire they can eat, without them ever touching the stem/root area. Berries are good idea. I will look up different berries to see if the leaves are edible.

I have a perfect area between my coop and the chain link fence to plant some vine type plants.. provide some shade and promote bug population too.
Thanks Fowlsessed for sparking a good idea!

LOL, glad I did. I've been thinking of a way to get live, fresh and green foods to the birds in all the individual brood pens for a while. I thought just growing in a small protected wire section in the pen, or from the outside of the pen, would be great. I have some that just happened like that. Next year, I'm thinking of trying a tomato transplant on the outside of each pen, they are so high production and the birds love them, although the plant is not edible. Just grow them on the outside until they are so high and then train it through the wire so that it then grows on the inside where the fruit will fall into the pen.

Back
Top Bottom