Show Off Your Games!

It won't grow back if he poped it off at base I had some get off of string over the years and do same thing thank good it has all ways been the right one haven't had one pop off left spur yet knock on wood

Just wondering do you remember the first fowls that were yours? Mine was a grey cock and hatch hen. The cock was gifted by a mentor he had a bum leg. When sparred he would fold it under every now and then. I cared for him about 6mo then was gifted a spurred green leg hatch hen put them together and the rest was history

I was lucky to have a friend that took me and my brother in and gave us a pair of our choice of anything white legged he had, the green or blue legs was off limits at first. My first pair was marsh butchers and my brothers was clarets. That was in 1981. A few months later my first wife's uncle gave me 36 hatch crosses to start showing in my area. I was hooked. Later my brother ended up with almost everything our friend had except his kelsos, he had deep pockets and partners with deeper pockets, almost every show he had went to Sunset. My brother has 3 lines of hatch, clarets, brown reds, sweaters, and what's left of his typewtiters. I have butchers, 2 lines of hatch, black velcos, coal miner mugs, sweaters, miner blues, one albany, and a pair or Murphys from a good friend coming in a few weeks. That it in game birds

12 out of 13 have hatched, a couple still in the bator. I think that hatching info I posted was a little help. I have had a few die just before they hatch this year on shipped eggs, that and sdm111 has some healthy parents. 12 out of 15 total eggs shipped in late August.

Congrats on the hatch and thanks. The mentor I had he would bring me to bird of a feather AKA hickory about 7-10 mins from our houses. That's pretty much where I was first introduced to the game world. There's a pipeline that borders his property and back in the day when u crossed the pipeline on our major highway and looked down u could see all his barrels in the distance. After the outlawing i passed and only saw a few so I rode down by his house and to this day his breeder quarters and barrels in his yard are not vacant. The barrel colonies on the pipeline may be gone but he still had his prized warriors with him.

Last edited:
I was lucky to have a friend that took me and my brother in and gave us a pair of our choice of anything white legged he had, the green or blue legs was off limits at first. My first pair was marsh butchers and my brothers was clarets. That was in 1981. A few months later my first wife's uncle gave me 36 hatch crosses to start showing in my area. I was hooked. Later my brother ended up with almost everything our friend had except his kelsos, he had deep pockets and partners with deeper pockets, almost every show he had went to Sunset. My brother has 3 lines of hatch, clarets, brown reds, sweaters, and what's left of his typewtiters. I have butchers, 2 lines of hatch, black velcos, coal miner mugs, sweaters, miner blues, one albany, and a pair or Murphys from a good friend coming in a few weeks. That it in game birds
Hope u get those Murphy's. And I know of more than a few that when first starting had the Kelso held back from them for a while me included. Guess they didn't want us to go from BB gun to 12ga! Lol and I'm confident you'll be happy with the miners just get ready for the " man that's some fine looking................what the hell is that!

Last edited:
Just wondering do you remember the first fowls that were yours? Mine was a grey cock and hatch hen. The cock was gifted by a mentor he had a bum leg. When sparred he would fold it under every now and then. I cared for him about 6mo then was gifted a spurred green leg hatch hen put them together and the rest was history
My originals were gifts from a neighbor who owns hundreds of cocks on multiple properties. I think I was 17 years old at the time living with my parents. He took my dad and I to an event (illegal) and we watched him win like 10K in total that day. When we got home he gave us a Leiper cock and 3 grey hens. Later we found a double spurred green leg hatch hen (assumed it was GLH by characteristics) roaming near the house, so we caught her.. This flock was bred to give me my Fabio hatch line after several generations of free range breeding and natural selection. I did some selection when we had too many chicks, but for the most part nature took care of culling. I also let nature decide who was dominant cock in the yard. I have 3 birds left from this original line.. Since then I have added new bloodlines like Warhorse, spanish game and some others including different hatches.

I like mixing breeds for some reason. I think there is some excitement to see new colors and traits. I always been an advocated of crosses. I like to breed crosses to other crosses as opposed to pure breeds. Although I have to admit that I have been breeding back to the Fabio side, because he is such a good rooster that I want to replicate his traits.

Since I refuse to go through what I went through last spring with the rain and flooding. It's about that time so what would you use, sand or pea gravel in dome pens? And your reasoning for one over the other if you don't mind, thanks

I have builders sand over gravel, raised about 8 inches. not games, but chickens, lol mixed mutt little chickens, and a pair of oegb bbr, and two young female black sumatra

the builders sand is not beach/play sand. it is grainier, sharper feeling, it packs down, kinda, they dig holes and dust bath in it, drains great

Well if it's not games then it's just not gonna work lol j/k ima look into that type of sand got to do something. Prolly end up putting 3/4 or 1" pvc going from inside pen under frame to outside pen area then a layer of pea gravel and sand on top just don't want that what we have fine river sand after it dries it'll just blow and scratch away so I'll look into the stuff u talking about, thanks. Or sandy clay

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom