Show Off Your Games!

Hi everyone,
I had a question for gamefowl enthusiasts: which is the broodiest and best mother of them all? Everyone knows gamefowl are reliably broody and great mothers but do any breeds particularly stand out as mothers and stay with their chicks the longest (6 months)? I have heard good things about Asils being excellent, fierce mothers that defend their young against any threats and stick with their young for around 6 months. Is this accurate and how do they compare with other breeds?
Thanks ahead of time
Sergio

It has been my experience in 30 years of chicken raising, that while certain breed may have more natural instinct to become mothers, it really comes down to individual birds as to how good they are at it. Some hens excel at being mothers and others do not, no matter what the breed. You just have to try them all out and see which ones are good, and then keep those hens as your brooders.

It has been my experience in 30 years of chicken raising, that while certain breed may have more natural instinct to become mothers, it really comes down to individual birds as to how good they are at it.  Some hens excel at being mothers and others do not, no matter what the breed.  You just have to try them all out and see which ones are good, and then keep those hens as your brooders.

Perfectly said!

I have one 4 week old modern game with 13 others (cochins, seramas, and silkies.) I really like him but im scared hes a roo given his hyoeractivity, general inquisitiveness, and feather patterning (ridge along the back..etc) Anyone able to take a guess on sex?

Back
Top Bottom