Show Off Your Games!

not the Sumatra comb. it's a mix
are the bottom of the feet yellow?
the Sumatra genes seem to dominate,(at least that has been my experience.) I have a pullet that can't possibly have any more than a quarter Sumatra, yet looks a lot like the sop.

Just wanted to get back to you. I tracked down the hatchery and they are saying sumatra. I know they are wrong. She has the wrong comb and the bottom of her feet are black..

Hatcheries love lying about what breeds they have. Most likely it's a Sumatra mix.

not the Sumatra comb. it's a mix
are the bottom of the feet yellow?
the Sumatra genes seem to dominate,(at least that has been my experience.) I have a pullet that can't possibly have any more than a quarter Sumatra, yet looks a lot like the sop.

Absolutely agree about Summie genes being very dominant. Here's my boy Norman, about 1/8 Sumatra:

Hatcheries love lying about what breeds they have. Most likely it's a Sumatra mix.
Absolutely agree about Summie genes being very dominant. Here's my boy Norman, about 1/8 Sumatra:

I can't believe a hatchery would sale a mixed bird. I expect less quality but not a mutt. Oh well I guess. We love are little mystery lol. She is the sweetest thing ever . :)

Hatcheries are in the business of selling chicks, and quantity is $$$$. Most oriental breeds are poor layers compared to the production type chickens that are out there. So for more bang for their buck, many hatcheries that offer the breeds that tend to lay less have been known to cross production style birds into the flock to increase their productivity. Nothing wrong with it, its all about making money when you are in business. Them not being honest about it is whats concerning. Want pets, hatcheries are great. Looking for true to type show stuff, better do research and find a good individual breeder.

Hatcheries are in the business of selling chicks, and quantity is $$$$.  Most oriental breeds are poor layers compared to the production type chickens that are out there.  So for more bang for their buck, many hatcheries that offer the breeds that tend to lay less have been known to cross production style birds into the flock to increase their productivity.  Nothing wrong with it, its all about making money when you are in business.  Them not being honest about it is whats concerning.  Want pets, hatcheries  are great.  Looking for true to type show stuff, better do research and find a good individual breeder.

x2. I wouldn't trust a hatchery to sell ANYTHING purebred these days. All of them have had recent outcrossing done, in some cases more obvious than others. Heck I seen some Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks out of hatcheries, they only had them one or two years now, already ruining type and color - obvious differences between hatchery and breeder stock even after such a short period of time... same as Blue Wyandottes, they ain't had em long either and type is already crap.

Hatcheries are in the business of selling chicks, and quantity is $$$$.  Most oriental breeds are poor layers compared to the production type chickens that are out there.  So for more bang for their buck, many hatcheries that offer the breeds that tend to lay less have been known to cross production style birds into the flock to increase their productivity.  Nothing wrong with it, its all about making money when you are in business.  Them not being honest about it is whats concerning.  Want pets, hatcheries  are great.  Looking for true to type show stuff, better do research and find a good individual breeder.

x2. I wouldn't trust a hatchery to sell ANYTHING purebred these days. All of them have had recent outcrossing done, in some cases more obvious than others. Heck I seen some Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks out of hatcheries, they only had them one or two years now, already ruining type and color - obvious differences between hatchery and breeder stock even after such a short period of time... same as Blue Wyandottes, they ain't had em long either and type is already crap.

It's just sad that what you get doesn't even resemble the actual type anymore. I personally don't mind a mix. Sometimes they are even better. But it's so dishonest to sell a mutt and say it's purebred.. :(

I think some of the best Sumatra in the country are from the west coast. if you like them, (and I don't know why you wouldn't, they are a great breed.) you should be able to aquire some good ones without too much problem.

Back
Top Bottom