Show Off Your Games!

Roundhead hen enjoying the sun while I was replacing roofs

20200118_134847.jpg

Kelso hen still surviving amongst the hawks

20200118_095852.jpg

Blue stag that's getting trimmed this weekend if it's cool enough

20200118_102517.jpg

BF2EA413-F486-4353-B92C-91FCAF79993B_1_201_a.jpeg

Hei Hei free ranging around the fish pond.

A3FB519E-F46B-40EC-AECF-BDEAAD630479_1_201_a.jpeg

These two hens are rearing this brood of 12 bitties together. At night in the coop both the mother and the second hen will shelter bitties under their wings up on the roosting poles. I was impressed the bitties were able to get to the highest roosting pools (around 8ft high) at week 3. They forage together on the ground and they both cluck and make mother noises towards the bitties.

Hei Hei will call the bitties to him to get food like he does hens, and I watched him run a big layer from the bitties this morning. But that's the extent of what I've noticed so far regarding his parenting of the bitties.

BTW, how many bitties can you see in the picture?

Last edited:
Evidence for world's crappiest phone camera.
First to images of Wheaton like hen overlaid with pattern gene. Pattern gene causes the regular crescent marking at end feathers. Without pattern gene looks very Wheaton with a slight orange tint. Chick down looks just like wheaten. The version is recessive while Wheaton is dominant to wild type.
20200119_172830.jpg
20200119_172835.jpg

Second is similar with although carries silver allele as well. If proper Wheaton, then she would appear buttermilk. I do not know what to call this color pattern although it is striking.
20200119_172911.jpg

Shubin might think this is interesting. Under a piece of tin in woods I found a cuple hundred what appeared to be camel crickets in a group like a swarm of bees. When I pulled the tin up to expose them they promptly retreated to holes out of site. Entire area they were on is frozen. They were active even though they were about 10 F below freezing!
20200120_141011_HDR.jpg

Daughter with pups playing in frozen creek. I did not know at time but just prior she messed her knee up big time by falling through a manhole cover. Today she says she has to walk slow because she is injured like an old man.
20200120_142817.jpg

Evidence for world's crappiest phone camera.
First to images of Wheaton like hen overlaid with pattern gene. Pattern gene causes the regular crescent marking at end feathers. Without pattern gene looks very Wheaton with a slight orange tint. Chick down looks just like wheaten. The version is recessive while Wheaton is dominant to wild type.View attachment 2007833View attachment 2007834
Second is similar with although carries silver allele as well. If proper Wheaton, then she would appear buttermilk. I do not know what to call this color pattern although it is striking.View attachment 2007835
Thanks a lot. I greatly appreciate it.

I thought he meant a game breed looked like a mille fleur. Not his
I have seen birds listed as games that were mill fleur in coloration. I had gamefowl in quotes. By looks of type they were in the range of games. They made by someone into colors that likely used a mill fleur version of leghorn to get end product. I am not sure games have all the genetics needed to make mill fleur without admixture from a non-game breed.

Back
Top Bottom