Show off your house ducks!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Scovy Momma, Feb 23, 2012.

1. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I love those types of pictures! If you re-wrap it, can you take some pictures that show how you do it? [​IMG]

-Kathy

2. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Oh, poor little Pale Girl. That thing is HUGE! Great job getting it out - that musta been intense. Keep us posted, I'm sure she'll improve much more quickly now!

3. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    You have no idea. XD He'd find ways to slip out of it so it was a constant struggle to keep the wraps AND the sock on! But it did lead to the idea of making his sushi halloween costume though! I gotta finish making that one of these days...

Oh, also, Bean had her last follow-up this morning. Her lungs are pneumonia-free, her gizzard sounds great and her gut bacteria are starting to grow again! She's also doubled in weight! Everything's gonna be okay <3

Now let's hope Pale Girl can enjoy the same turnaround as Bean did. Poor little goosey girl. ;;

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

5. LadyHawkeAvry

LadyHawkeAvry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2015
    Carlisle, NY
    Absolutely! I'm going to have to pull her in for more antibiotics and to check on the incision later. I have to make sure I got the whole thing - I guess it would technically have been a bumbleknee! I'll irrigate it again and pack it full of more triple antibiotic. She was so good about the whole thing. As soon as it was out my daughter said that she immediately relaxed.
    My daughter was considering taking it to use for her microtechniques class. Granulomas like that are tough to get a good section from, so it would be great practice for her. Plus the slide would look pretty cool as far as histopathology goes. I wrapped it for her, and didn't see it later, so hopefully she took it!
    Pale Girl is so happy to be outside. As long as the weather stays dry and her leg is wrapped, she can be with her friends, and we can get some sleep! (I swear, those ducks were like teenagers at a sleepover talking through the wall all night! Narcissus attempted a rescue, and tore off the bottom of the T-111 on the side of the house outside the bathroom where I had her - much as I didn't need the hole there, I have to give him credit for protecting his entire flock, even the members that aren't geese...)

6. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    Do you think you're gonna go ahead and do a culture to see what specific kind of bacteria is the culprit? I know a lot of little bugs can cause this kind of thing so I'm more curious than anything. :3 That breaks my heart how she tried to communicate to the others outside, too! Poor little girl. At least her knight in shining armor did a good job reducing your property value trying to get to her, LOL!

Also I hope your daughter can get a good image of the slide, I wanna see! ...Is that weird? That's probably weird.

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Not weird, lol. Both of you would probably enjoy this:
    http://avianmedicine.net/content/uploads/2013/03/gramstain2.pdf

-Kathy

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    FYI, i get the best search results when I include "avian medicine" in the search.

-Kathy

9. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    Ooo, yes, that's neat! I've helped make slides, but never viewed them, at least not for diagnoses. They'd let me see them just for curiosity/education's sake. That's weird that the instructions say to use a lighter, seems low-tech but maybe I'm just spoiled by having access to a pretty modern lab :p

...Also that last slide had me rolling. I didn't know male budgies could even DO that sorta thing! [​IMG]

10. 18angovem

18angovem Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2014
    Warren Pennsylvania
    Quote:Oh! Me either..... I don't even want to know how a budgie does that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by