Show off your house ducks!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Scovy Momma, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    She's older and her wing feathers are already coming in, so she may need to be wrapped for five days or more. :/ It's pretty simple though, my best advice is to use PAPER TAPE, you know, that blue stuff you find at the craft store? It's not terribly sturdy but it comes off easily in water, and that's what we want. The last thing a ducky needs is to have sticky stuff caught right on her blood feathers! Just fold the wing up and wrap a few layers of the tape around it, just like you would an elbow or wrist. Make sure it's snug, and then try to keep her out of the water for a few days. Easier said than done.

You'll have to re-wrap it several times during the process, but as I said, it's better to have tape that comes off too easily than tape that sticks and pulls on those sensitive blood feathers!

Here's a photo of a well-wrapped wing for reference:

[​IMG]

Now if she keeps picking at it, you might have to put her in "the sock of shame" like I did for Wobbles. I used an actual sock because he's teeny, but the standard is a nylon since it's stretchier and more comfy for the bird. Here it is in all its hilarious glory:

[​IMG]

Buried somewhere on my camera is a photo of Wobbles in his little navy green sock, he looks just like a tamago nigiri sushi! I'll have to find it for you. :p

2. kukupecpec

kukupecpec Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Tucson AZ
    She looks like she's wrapped in butcher paper all ready to take home and eat! Poor ducky! I love this picture of Wobs (I actually found it on Google images when I searched for "duck Angel wing wrapped" and thought "man! That looks just like Wobs!... Then I clicked. And it was, in fact, Wobbles the call duck lol) [​IMG]

3. LadyHawkeAvry

LadyHawkeAvry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2015
    Carlisle, NY
    OMG Wobbles in his little wrap!! He must have been a stinker about getting his wing wrapped!!!

4. LadyHawkeAvry

LadyHawkeAvry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2015
    Carlisle, NY
    I got the swelling down in Pale Girl's leg by about half, revealing the culprit. She had injured her knee somehow, and had a little pocket of infection. With the help of my daughter I did early morning surgery, and dug out a huge caseating granuloma!
    [​IMG]
    She was nearly instantly more relaxed and calm after I got it out. She got the site irrigated, packed with triple antibiotic, and covered in gauze in a manner that kept pressure on the site, then she got a stylish camouflage vetwrap dressing and the morning outside to relax in the sun with her friends. They missed her a lot, and she kept us up all night talking through the wall to them...
    She looks a lot better, and hopefully with her buddies by her side, she will get some sleep....

Missy was in the bathroom trying to figure out where the noisy duck in the bathroom that she had never actually seen went. Eventually she went back to the business of dabbling in herbal tea with honey and lime, deciding that it was far better to just be a house duck than worry about the affairs of the ducks outside....

1 person likes this.
  5. Julie Birb

Julie Birb Ducks win

Mar 22, 2014
    Italy
    Oh, sweet little Bean. I feel bad she's frightened. Is she okay with you holding her, though?

6. Julie Birb

Julie Birb Ducks win

Mar 22, 2014
    Italy
    EEEEEEEEEEEEE, I love the Bean with blueberries now on her feets. And I am proud of her walking on the keyboard. The face the face and again, the face. Kiss her for me.

7. Julie Birb

Julie Birb Ducks win

Mar 22, 2014
    Italy
    Kisses from Missy. Lucky.

8. Julie Birb

Julie Birb Ducks win

Mar 22, 2014
    Italy
    Wow. Impressive you did that. I know you are a doctor, but still. Great job!! yay that Pale Girl has you.

9. Julie Birb

Julie Birb Ducks win

Mar 22, 2014
    Italy
    @Amykins just noticed in a photo after I asked if you could hold Bean still because she was fearful and obviously you are able to hold her. Hard to keep posts in order when catching up.

10. kukupecpec

kukupecpec Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Tucson AZ

Way to go lady! What a lucky goose!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by