Show off your Old English Game Bantams!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gameboygal12, Mar 18, 2010.

1. One Chick Two

One Chick Two Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    GORGEOUS, gorgeous Bantams! Have really enjoyed seeing all the breeds diversity, and fine plumage!

Here's our Old English Game Bantam to add to the list, "Sir Banty Bantsalot." His color is BBR x Quail colored.

We purchased him full grown (a few weeks ago) to help protect our flock of RIR pullets from predators (we had some predator attacks). We really like his (so far) peaceful disposition and timid demeanor, but I worry about the day when our baby RIR cockeriels and new baby pullets will also go to the henhouse to live with the 39 older pullets and Sir Banty in some weeks- that there will be fighting. This little guy has HUGE spurs! He seems to run everywhere and have never seen him fly. Maybe the RIR cockeriels who will be bigger over time will become the new alpha? Will we need to somehow cut those spurs or separate him from the flock? Does anyone have suggestions for adding males to an existing flock (39 pullets plus[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sir Banty)? Any thoughts?

2. TW1Kell

TW1Kell Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2012
    Beautiful bird! For his spur problem, try grasping the spur where you see it start to get kind of whitish and give it a little twist. Often times, they'll simply snap off at that point. I have an older BBRed OEGB that had such long spurs that he'd trip on them. They'd tangle up and toss him, and he would be very embarrassed like, when it happened. It was funny, actually. I asked a friend about clipping them, as I never have, and didn't want to "quick him". The friend told me to twist them, and I went out to do it. One had already broken off, right about where he said to twist-snap it. Made me feel a lot better about trying it, since it did it naturally, and he seemed to not have any problems with it.

3. One Chick Two

One Chick Two Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    Thank you TW1Kell- great suggestion about the spur removal- thank you!

Your story about having your older OEGB tripping over his spurs and his embarrassment made me lol! Totally relate. Although the little guy hasn't tripped yet, just seems like a matter of time before it happens. Our pullets are bigger, run faster, and are sneaky whenever it's treat time, so poor guy has to race triple time to keep up and not trip- it's funny to watch him maneover. Needless to say, he grumbles under his breath whenever he's missed out on a bit of apple or a grape, eventually, he gets frustrated and chases away the nearest hen whom he rarely catches while someone else has taken another of his goodies. Now, I always hold out a bit of treat for him at the end, so I know at least he's had a few treats like the others.

4. CyndiChick

CyndiChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2013
    Florida
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is my youngest son, holding Little Red.
    [​IMG]

I was told this little gal is an OEGB hen... Don't know what color/type, but just got our first egg from her today. She is 6 months old. Have two 6 month old roos in with her (both bantams, not sure on breed/color to call them... but here they are)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  5. katzbantams

katzbantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    The one & black bantam, looks like a black tailed white japenese roo. (the 2nd picture from the bottom)

6. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    looks to me like a silver duckwing rooster - I see white in the earlobes, I wouldn't use him for show breeding, but im sure he makes an excellent pet.

the hen looks like black breasted red, or possibly blue breasted red, its hard to tell through pictures.

7. CyndiChick

Apr 18, 2013
    Florida
    Thanks for the insights :) These three are so sweet and good with my kids, especially my youngest autistic son. I hate to do it, but I am going to have to find homes for this trio, as we are only keeping breeding roos/hens or laying hens. Little Red is laying but the tiny eggs don't compare to my cochins eggs.

8. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    they make better noodles. [​IMG]

9. CyndiChick

Apr 18, 2013
    Florida
    Hmm I've never made noodles... Might have to try that !

10. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    I just re-read that and realized how it came out LOL. I meant the eggs make darker yellow noodles. was not implying to butcher them. that came out all wrong.

(I hope shes not out butchering them right now)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by