Show off your Old English Game Bantams!!

Hello world...

Black and Blue brassy...

Today is kind of bittersweet. I'll set my last hatch of this season. Hatching is an addiction for me, if you couldn't tell. I love hearing all the little voices.

Believe it or not, I'm not setting any OEGB. Sweetgrass turkeys, Bielefelders, and New Hampshires are what I'm going to finish up with.

Now I just have to raise out all these dang chicks.

Today is kind of bittersweet. I'll set my last hatch of this season. Hatching is an addiction for me, if you couldn't tell. I love hearing all the little voices.

Believe it or not, I'm not setting any OEGB. Sweetgrass turkeys, Bielefelders, and New Hampshires are what I'm going to finish up with.

Now I just have to raise out all these dang chicks.
you don't sale any chicks?

you don't sale any chicks?

Don't sell many as chicks, mainly because I'm looking for breeders and I want to see how they grow out. Plus, there's kind of a learning curve to rearing some of the chicks I hatch. They are not as forgiving as the larger hatchery bantams, or large fowl chicks. They are small and fragile, particularly my blacks, and you can kill them quick if you're not meeting their needs. I don't like it when people call me to tell me their chicks died, so there must of been something wrong with them. It's just easier on me to get them well-started before I turn them loose. Better for them as well.

This may sound heartless, but with broodies especially, if they're not capable of hatching on their own I don't help them. There's usually a reason, and it seems to me some of those chicks never are strong. They're more susceptible to disease, parasites and other problems ( no scientific proof, just my observation). Everyone here has probably gotten impatient and tried to help too soon.

My exceptions to my above rule. If a chick is has pipped and/or unzipping, is obviously strong (constantly chirping, and moving) but just isn't progressing, I will help. The minute you get to a spot where you notice a lot of blood coming from the membrane, stop and wait. I have actually pipped and egg for a chick, unzipped the top, removed it, and had them pop out like a jack in the box. The more you hatch, the more you can differentiate the ones with a chance vs the list causes. Let the weak ones go. You'll save yourself heartache in the long run.

It's sucks, but we've all done it. I've done it, and have the chicks do well.

Patience is your best friend when hatching. They know when they're ready for the most part. Let them do their thing.

Yes, words of wisdom, and usually exactly what I follow. This one really seemed ready. I left part of the membrane and shouldn't have. He rotated under it and drowned. Totally my fault, but a learning experience. Chit happens.

Hello world...

Black and Blue brassy...

Adorable!

How do you post pics on mobile

I have to switch to desktop to post pics. Bottom of any page, there are "mobile" and "desktop" buttons. Switch over, post the pic, then switch back to mobile. Total PITA, but its the only way I have found that works. Usually I wait till I get to the computer lol

Yes, words of wisdom, and usually exactly what I follow. This one really seemed ready. I left part of the membrane and shouldn't have. He rotated under it and drowned.

When I first started hatching, I killed several not being patient. I've had them pip towards the middle or lower part of the egg, have another chick turn the egg to where the pip is on bottom and have had them drown that way.

Hatching, especially with incubators is a constant learning experience. Even then, you'll still have crappy hatches occasionally.

Anybody here ever hatch turkeys? If appreciate advice if you have. Gonna put some in the incubator tonight.

Back
Top Bottom