Show off your Peas!

I love this thread! Everyones pictures are amazing!!! I used to think there were only two types of peafowl: Blue and White. Thanks for helping me get my learn on, BYC. Um.. also, what does "Pied" mean?
hide.gif

I love this thread! Everyones pictures are amazing!!! I used to think there were only two types of peafowl: Blue and White. Thanks for helping me get my learn on, BYC. Um.. also, what does "Pied" mean?
hide.gif
Pied is the blue and white, kind of like a paint horse. There is Dark pied, which is mostly blue with few white splashes, usually in the flight feathers or right under the neck. There is Silver Pied, which is more white with a few splashes of the blue. And there is just Pied, which is about even in blue and white.

BUT! The Pied is a pattern, and can be observed in several (if not all) colors, not just the India Blue. :)

More pictures!

I got a few more of Blu this past week :)

Got a couple of my Opal male as well, though he was being a fraidy cat of my camera.

Enjoying the sunbeam

And his adorable 2 year old train! I cannot wait to see this filled out next year :)

Last edited:

This is my first peachick ever and I am head over heels in love!
love.gif
Who knew 10 days ago that I would be so smitten with a little bundle of feathers? We set 4 eggs- 2 were clear, 1 late quitter and this little cutie! They were the first eggs of the laying season, so I am guessing the 2 clear were not fertile. I had no idea they were so co-dependent nor that I would be completely taken with it. It paces back and forth screaming until one of us pick it up. I put 3 trainer chicks in with it for the first 4 or 5 days, but It never did like them!
tongue2.gif
I think it thinks it's human. It is sleeping on my chest as we speak. Its spends most of the day in the pocket of an old house coat with either me or my daughter carrying it around, or on our shoulder. It also likes to curl up in/under her ponytail while she lays on the floor watching TV (see pic below). Guess it is the closest thing to a wing it can get under! I can't imagine the day it is too old to stay inside. How on earth will I ever be able to leave it outside? Way back I found a website that sold "poultry panties" and I do believe if they had them big enough to fit a pea.....pea-panties
lau.gif
I would have to order some! Anyone else ever brood one inside your house? I am not an inside animal person AT ALL- not even a cat or dog inside-but I just don't know how I will ever kick it out!
hit.gif
I am so anti-inside-animal-person that it aggravates me when I go places like the ball field, racetrack, or playground and people bring their pets to poop where my kids play.......Well.... I guess I will have to get some salt and pepper to eat those words..... We leave for Texas Thursday and we already have a spot in the motor home picked out for the cage. Now, I am
th.gif
...... "one of those people"!
hide.gif
At what age do you all usually move yours out? Anybody keeping a full grown pea inside?
big_smile.png

Thanks so much for all the cool pics. I have chickens, chickens, and more chickens, and now about 3 dozen guinea keets, but this little fella has taken the cake! I love to look at the different colors to decide which ones I will be getting next!

Parents are IB, pure IB I think.... any idea if I have a boy or girl? I read on UPA site that you could tell cock or hen by colors at an early age. Any of you good with this? My daughter says it's a boy, but I told her not to get her heart set on either.

I know they are fragile for a few months, Anything I need to do to ensure good health? It would tear us both to pieces if anything happened to it. Feeding a mixture of game chick starter and medicated chick starter. However, I did locate a 24 or 26% medicated game starter I can pick up.

I think I have a new addiction! I set 4 more eggs Saturday! Any suggestions for a newbie would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

My little girl laying on the floor by the brooder drawing so he would stay warm under the heat lamp. She sure does love that bird!

Read somewhere you could tell sex by the wing and/or flight feathers? Any ideas?

Last edited:
What a cutie! And don't worry, you are totally not alone raising that little guy indoors! I raised my first two in my house as well- they even slept in my bed in the crook of my arm or against my neck until they were 3 months old!

Here is Osiris, my firstborn

And here is Osiris, my firstborn... helping me make lunch. (the comment about her being a boy is because when I showed pictures here, everyone told me the one I'd been calling a "she" was a boy... turns out I was right, and Osiris was a girl after all)

And sorting the mail with my mom...

And helping my dad on the computer.

There does come a time when you will want them out of the house however. They will start wanting to roost as high as they can get, and as high as they can get usually means knocking over a lot of things in the process. They will also start to make very loud noises, honking at first and later their well known scream that sounds like "HELP!" and will send your ears ringing if you are anywhere nearby. However, until that time, there is a lady who sells chicken diapers that is willing and able to make any size diaper. She made me a peacock sized one when I had to have one of my peas in the house post-surgery. She can be found at www.chickendiapers.com

The feed you are giving him now is perfect. You can also give him treats if you like, but not too many in a day. Mine especially loved crickets from the pet store, watermelon, and their favorite- Yellow squash! Plain greek yogurt, unsalted oatmeal, and clover were also treats they enjoyed. Just keep him warm, fed, watered, and away from anywhere he can catch parasites (especially off natural ground and away from your chickens) and you should be fine with raising him up :)

You can tell by the feathers at around 3 months whether you have a boy or a girl. That is, in peacock terms, "early" since you can expect them to have a 15-20 year lifespan. If you are really curious and have $20, you can pluck a feather (has to be plucked, not shed naturally) and put it in a labeled plastic bag and send it to these people with their form. They will send you back a card with the gender of your bird.

Last edited:
What a cutie! And don't worry, you are totally not alone raising that little guy indoors! I raised my first two in my house as well- they even slept in my bed in the crook of my arm or against my neck until they were 3 months old!

Here is Osiris, my firstborn

And here is Osiris, my firstborn... helping me make lunch. (the comment about her being a boy is because when I showed pictures here, everyone told me the one I'd been calling a "she" was a boy... turns out I was right, and Osiris was a girl after all)

And sorting the mail with my mom...

And helping my dad on the computer.

There does come a time when you will want them out of the house however. They will start wanting to roost as high as they can get, and as high as they can get usually means knocking over a lot of things in the process. They will also start to make very loud noises, honking at first and later their well known scream that sounds like "HELP!" and will send your ears ringing if you are anywhere nearby. However, until that time, there is a lady who sells chicken diapers that is willing and able to make any size diaper. She made me a peacock sized one when I had to have one of my peas in the house post-surgery. She can be found at www.chickendiapers.com

The feed you are giving him now is perfect. You can also give him treats if you like, but not too many in a day. Mine especially loved crickets from the pet store, watermelon, and their favorite- Yellow squash! Plain greek yogurt, unsalted oatmeal, and clover were also treats they enjoyed. Just keep him warm, fed, watered, and away from anywhere he can catch parasites (especially off natural ground and away from your chickens) and you should be fine with raising him up :)

You can tell by the feathers at around 3 months whether you have a boy or a girl. That is, in peacock terms, "early" since you can expect them to have a 15-20 year lifespan. If you are really curious and have $20, you can pluck a feather (has to be plucked, not shed naturally) and put it in a labeled plastic bag and send it to these people with their form. They will send you back a card with the gender of your bird.
Watching those videos takes me back a few years ago when I raised Cricket by hand, with the help of a friend who would carry her around in her purse, put her in a pouch at bedtime, and take her everywhere. I brought her to PetsMart for crickets she'd be walking in right behind me! and she'd ride along in the car for short trips...she loved it. Still have her and she is 4 now still comes in and sits on the kitchen table too! They are very fun to raise but they DO take a lot of time.

Back
Top Bottom