Show off your Peas!

They sure are cool I don't know if I should try growing them or not. Vines do too well around here. We already have enough issues with wild grape vines and thorn vines taking over all of the azalea bushes. Year after year you clean the vines from the bushes and they just grow right back the next year. I like yard work but I don't like frequent vine pulling.

I always liked playing with sticks when I was younger. My friends and I liked to climb trees and have stick fights. I would search the yard for butterflies and catch one and put it in a long butterfly containment thing made of mesh. I wouldn't keep them long but sometimes I would find a cocoon and then I would keep that and once the butterfly hatched out I would give it sugar water and eventually let it go, although sometimes I kept them until they died. I also liked going to the beach or the bay and catching fish in a landing net and putting them in a bucket or a kitty pool and building a little ecosystem for them and then I would let them go later.

Minx , The grubs turn into what we call June Bugs . here they come out in May and June and fly around at about 2 feet from the ground .. When I was small some 70 yrs ago we used to stick a small feather in their rump and let them fly around
old.gif
. I did not have any toys then so you made due with what you could find. The tree is a tree with Luffa sponges growing in it. ( the kind people buy to take " luxurious baths" ) The inside is filled with seeds and they do very good in Okla. connerhills

That is so funny! Dear old Dad, rest his soul, used to tell the same story except he used horse flys. Got to be really good to catch a horse fly...

You replant the seeds every spring, i can send you some if you want.

You will never have to buy them kind of seeds again one average sponge yields about 40 seeds, i think i paid 5 dollars for 20 seeds when i first started them.

I'll take you up on the seeds! Tell me what it cost to send them!

That is so funny! Dear old Dad, rest his soul, used to tell the same story except he used horse flys. Got to be really good to catch a horse fly...
If you put a small piece of straw in a horsefly's rear and let go, he'll fly straight up out of sight never to be seen again. Used to do it while bailing hay or just anytime you could catch one in general, lol

You replant the seeds every spring, i can send you some if you want.
Ooo I'd love some! We haven't had much luck with grape vines here, but our other squash/gourd vines go crazy in the summer, and I certainly would not mind having some natural sponges to wash with. I'll shoot you a PM :)

If you put a small piece of straw in a horsefly's rear and let go, he'll fly straight up out of sight never to be seen again. Used to do it while bailing hay or just anytime you could catch one in general, lol
WOW that is strange thanks for sharing i do not like horse flys at all they can be real bad here some times.

Not sure if ya been here in this area before but just in case:

Years ago I raised Arabs and in summer I pastured them all out together. The horse flies were awful and it seemed like no matter what I tried it didn't last long and I would spend hours out with them killing the flies. It was amazing how upset people that came to see them would get when my stallion would come running up to us and present his rear when we entered the pasture.

Back
Top Bottom