Show off your Peas!

Peep is so photogenic! I got this photo of him and me today after he displayed.

Nice photo of you and Peep!

Pretty trains on the 2012 hatches

2013 hatch boy

Shes shrimping

Pretty peas!!
love.gif

Quote:
Imprinting = spoiling = Love

Agreed. Peep lets me get super close to him and pet him because I hatched him out and he imprinted to me. I spent A LOT of time with him when he was a peachick. I played with him, held him, took him outside to take dust baths, etc. Once he got bigger he started to not like being picked up so much so I just decided to do what is comfortable with him and stop trying to hold him or get him on my arm. If I really have to hold him like to treat him for something I could do that and he probably wouldn't fuss nearly as much as the other peafowl, but otherwise I just pet him.

There was an odd day when my peacock Alto, who I did not raise, let Aaron and me pet him. The next day he did not allow petting and since that day he has not allowed it again. Sometimes I slowly reach out to see if he will let me pet him, but he moves away from my hand. He is still fairly comfortable with me. If I tried petting a peafowl that didn't know me as well they would probably run off or jump out of fright. At this point you are trying to gain your bird's trust and make them see that you mean them no harm. You could damage their trust if you try to pet them too much. Peafowl that have not been worked with since they were little are to be looked at and not touched unless if they need to be treated for something that involves catching them - but mostly no touching.

Here is an older photo, showing Peep, then not even a yearling, on my hand.

I held him and pet him at a young age. The day he hatched I was holding him and giving him attention.

Peep was a little Peachick cutie!
love.gif

Agreed. Peep lets me get super close to him and pet him because I hatched him out and he imprinted to me. I spent A LOT of time with him when he was a peachick. I played with him, held him, took him outside to take dust baths, etc. Once he got bigger he started to not like being picked up so much so I just decided to do what is comfortable with him and stop trying to hold him or get him on my arm. If I really have to hold him like to treat him for something I could do that and he probably wouldn't fuss nearly as much as the other peafowl, but otherwise I just pet him.

There was an odd day when my peacock Alto, who I did not raise, let Aaron and me pet him. The next day he did not allow petting and since that day he has not allowed it again. Sometimes I slowly reach out to see if he will let me pet him, but he moves away from my hand. He is still fairly comfortable with me. If I tried petting a peafowl that didn't know me as well they would probably run off or jump out of fright. At this point you are trying to gain your bird's trust and make them see that you mean them no harm. You could damage their trust if you try to pet them too much. Peafowl that have not been worked with since they were little are to be looked at and not touched unless if they need to be treated for something that involves catching them - but mostly no touching.

Here is an older photo, showing Peep, then not even a yearling, on my hand.

I held him and pet him at a young age. The day he hatched I was holding him and giving him attention.
WOW it seems like yesterday he was just a wee pea, sometimes i wished they would stay small, they are so darn cute but i have to admit i do love the adults and their ways and their beauty

My precious Patch i had another chance to get him back today as well as his hens but had to decline because i am strict about taking back birds that have been where other birds are or have been, my heart is hurting as i do not know where he will end up but they will pass my name on with him and i hope to keep in touch as to how he and his ladies are doing any other bird it would not bother me but gosh this one hurts my heart.

It does feel like just yesterday that he was a little peachick. I got confused and thought some of my birds were younger than they actually are. This year I got to thinking about their ages and figured that Ice is actually 7 years old, Alto is 6, Damsel is 6, and Peep, Snow White, Frosty, & Shyanne are all 4 years old. I hate to see them get older. I do miss Peep when he was the size as he was in that first photo of both of us. That was a nice age when he still let me hold him but by that age he didn't cry constantly for me. I still really like him being an adult, I just hate to see him get older.

Maybe someone on here could get Patch? It might not be too late for you to get him back. I would get him and just put him in quarantine I am sure you have a pen you could put him in temporarily.

I have one pen and it is for my new birds when they get here i have it limed down and intend to keep it that way till just before i go to get them, I just don't want to take any chance when i got new birds that cost what they do coming, i rarely buy birds, usually anything i have bought was a baby from tested flocks and it was to get me started with them then i am done buying.

My little Peep is imprinted on me! She lays her head in my shoulder and wants me to hug her. She likes to have her head scratched and EAT MEALY WORMS! She has gotten the others to eat out of my hand!

WOW it seems like yesterday he was just a wee pea, sometimes i wished they would stay small, they are so darn cute but i have to admit i do love the adults and their ways and their beauty My precious Patch i had another chance to get him back today as well as his hens but had to decline because i am strict about taking back birds that have been where other birds are or have been, my heart is hurting as i do not know where he will end up but they will pass my name on with him and i hope to keep in touch as to how he and his ladies are doing any other bird it would not bother me but gosh this one hurts my heart.
It hurts to have to lose Patch, his girlfriends & all my chickens, but not my choice. Have someone interested in the peas & it sounds like it may be right up their alley, if it comes to pass. Not sure where, but some neighborhood is made up of 5 acre lots (don't know how many) & there are 2 males without hens roaming around, basically being shared by the neighbors. She is supposedly asking the neighbors if they want to pitch in & buy these, giving those resident males some lady friends & would still leave Patch with one. Not sure if it would work, but we'll see if it even goes through. Waiting to hear back.

I have one pen and it is for my new birds when they get here i have it limed down and intend to keep it that way till just before i go to get them, I just don't want to take any chance when i got new birds that cost what they do coming, i rarely buy birds, usually anything i have bought was a baby from tested flocks and it was to get me started with them then i am done buying.

Oh no Zaz.
hugs.gif
You have all of those chain link panels, can't you make Patch a quarantine pen? Even if it's small, he wouldn't have to be in there too long. You know what to look for and how to treat him if he needs treatment...
He would be so happy to be back with his original mom...

Back
Top Bottom