Show off your Peas!

Good lord, took me forever to get around to replying to this post. Anyways, 5/6 pictured we hatched ourselves and the sixth is the momma hen (large white in the back). We acquired the pair a year and half back, as 3 and 5 year olds. I have no idea who the original breeder was though. The dad (the one who got eaten by the neighbor dog recently) I'm 99% sure was a pure India Blue, but the babies make me wonder if maybe momma has some hidden Spalding in her? She doesn't show the long legs or tight crest or yellow but one of the white babies has a really tight, upright crest and yeah I think another one is getting slightly yellow ears.

@birdrain92 That white in the back I know is female, she's the momma of the rest. ;)
Does the mother make the same sounds as the other blues? Depending on percentage, a spaulding hen normally takes on the calls of her green ancestory. Keep an ear out you might be surprised. Those birds have green blood in them no doubt in my mind. Hope this helps.

Gerald Barker

Does the mother make the same sounds as the other blues? Depending on percentage, a spaulding hen normally takes on the calls of her green ancestory. Keep an ear out you might be surprised. Those birds have green blood in them no doubt in my mind. Hope this helps.

Gerald Barker
I read that green peacocks will start mimicking the call of an India Blue variety peacock if they hear it. Have you found this to be true? When I read that it was disappointing to me because I rather like the different noise that the greens make, and I don't want my young green peacock to change his noises.

I didn't realize that the call the green peacock makes when he rushes the hen is more of a sharp squeal noise. I heard it on a video recently and then I realized why my green makes a terrible shrieking noise when he displays for me. He is just trying to make the green version of the mating call but he just doesn't sound so pleasant yet haha.

I feel like the India blue split to white peahen I am raising with my green peacock took all of his "green". She is the spooky one and today I watched the green gently fly out of the shelter and then I watched the peahen rocket out of the shelter flying full speed and instead of landing she slammed into the fence, landed, and ran around. The green is so much calmer.

Beautiful Green and Spalding! Is it that they will mimic the Indian's call when the Indian calls or will the Green just start using the Indian call instead?

Last edited:
Shall we say woops! The one on the left is a peahen egg, then a Cochin, and a guinea egg! I thought it was too early for a guinea, but a peahen egg! For crying out loud it's January! It came from my while pair. He has been strutting for about 3 weeks and he has eyes in his tail! They are about 2 yrs old this month.

Shall we say woops! The one on the left is a peahen egg, then a Cochin, and a guinea egg! I thought it was too early for a guinea, but a peahen egg! For crying out loud it's January! It came from my while pair. He has been strutting for about 3 weeks and he has eyes in his tail! They are about 2 yrs old this month.

For some reason when I try load a pix all I get is a cancel button #%^*!

Back
Top Bottom