Show or Pet quality??

Helanaii

Songster
9 Years
Aug 28, 2013
Are any of my boys displaying any potential??

1st cockerel: Cloud
96117ECD-15E5-4063-A0B2-C3A7EA5A2D37.jpeg

9E6A0B78-BD34-4599-9E30-8F6DB29B6681.jpeg

2nd baby boy: Inky
174EA29A-B705-43FB-8E51-7005F974DD47.jpeg

Oh dang you’re right- I didn’t know you had to wait to be able to tell but that makes sense!!
This is a learning experience I’ve never had silkies before, thank you!

No problem! :) Yes, most show entries are 6 months and older, so you really wouldn't know until it was closer to that age. And with silkies they can be bearded or nonbearded, some have fuller poofs/crests so yours still need to get to that defining point. Bobbi Porto is the silkie expert. That's like her specialty, if she's not on BYC I think her web site used to be something like Indigo Egg. You could reach out to her and see what she thinks. First DQ on a silkie (show qualitywise) would be the feet, do the have all 5 toes. They'll look for fullness in the poof (if it's got one) and overall size (each bird breed/ gender has a standard of perfection weight and size), according to the sex (hen or roo), what the ideal weight is. Honestly from experience the younger they are the less likely they'll place. My daughter really wanted to take some of her pullets to a local show (they were just at the 6 month mark) she got "nice bird, very young" on most that were around that age. While both males and females are sexually mature/can lay eggs at 6 months, bodywise they still have a lot of growing and filling out to do.

No problem! :) Yes, most show entries are 6 months and older, so you really wouldn't know until it was closer to that age. And with silkies they can be bearded or nonbearded, some have fuller poofs/crests so yours still need to get to that defining point. Bobbi Porto is the silkie expert. That's like her specialty, if she's not on BYC I think her web site used to be something like Indigo Egg. You could reach out to her and see what she thinks. First DQ on a silkie (show qualitywise) would be the feet, do the have all 5 toes. They'll look for fullness in the poof (if it's got one) and overall size (each bird breed/ gender has a standard of perfection weight and size), according to the sex (hen or roo), what the ideal weight is. Honestly from experience the younger they are the less likely they'll place. My daughter really wanted to take some of her pullets to a local show (they were just at the 6 month mark) she got "nice bird, very young" on most that were around that age. While both males and females are sexually mature/can lay eggs at 6 months, bodywise they still have a lot of growing and filling out to do.

I should probably start learning more about showing— 🤣😅 thank you for helping me off on the right foot!!! I’ll start looking up Bobbi’s stuff tomorrow!!! ^^
Thanks again, you’re a really big help!

Back
Top Bottom