1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Show pekin - what would you do?

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by Springwell, May 24, 2017.

1. Springwell

Springwell Just Hatched

May 24, 2017
    Ireland
    I have a show coming up (small agricultural show) on June 11th...and the hen I had been prepping has lost her feathers underneath (broody patch) although not acting broody. She is still in great condition and until you put your hand under you wouldn't notice.

Would you bother bringing her or just take the other 2 birds I'm planning showing? As it's a local show I'm thinking better to bring her than leaving a pen empty? (Entries are already in) Good show experience or her even if she probably won't place?

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    I think if the overall condition of the bird is good then I would show her.

3. Springwell

Springwell Just Hatched

May 24, 2017
    Ireland
    Thanks for the swift reply. I didn't even notice the feather loss until I picked her up to bring her in for some refresher pen training as she didn't get to the only show I entered her in due to the bird flu restrictions over here (Ireland).

She's in a pen for training currently, I'm leaning towards bringing her along if she looks otherwise good on the day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by