Show Prep

you don't want overly long toe nails or beaks. just trim a little back at a time you don't want them to bleed. If you are not sure about doing it have someone close by show you how to do it the first time it is not hard. not every bird needs it. some of mine are on wire and the nails can get long.

Quote:
I use Cutler's, their the cheapest I could find, and they have INCREDIBLY fast shipping, ok I live in the same state, but still shipping is shipping, they saved my butt at the last minute when I decided to enter in a show and had no leg bands to spare, AND their customer service is awesome, very patient and can explain everything, not to mention they have an enormous selection of poultry and farm related things that you need for showing and just having critters-
bow.gif

Quote:
I used to do the cat food thing too, but then I realized there is Chicken in all catfood, unavoidable, not good, its better to get a show mix, like Gamebird/Showbird from MannaPro, or get soy beans, highest natural protien i can find, theres also some new show food out called UltraKibble, but its way expensive, I'm waiting to see if they lower the price, I read the ingredients, and OMG, that stuff has everyting you need, if all else fails read their ingredients and try giving your chickens that-

Quote:
I use Cutler's, their the cheapest I could find, and they have INCREDIBLY fast shipping, ok I live in the same state, but still shipping is shipping, they saved my butt at the last minute when I decided to enter in a show and had no leg bands to spare, AND their customer service is awesome, very patient and can explain everything, not to mention they have an enormous selection of poultry and farm related things that you need for showing and just having critters-
bow.gif

I called Cutlers and spoke with a patient, knowlegable woman who helped me choose the right size (Ameraucanas were not listed on the size chart). I got the bands in 1 day. she told me if they were not the right size a full exchange refund is available with no red tape or restrictions. Thanks for the referal to them.

Quote:
I used to do the cat food thing too, but then I realized there is Chicken in all catfood, unavoidable, not good, its better to get a show mix, like Gamebird/Showbird from MannaPro, or get soy beans, highest natural protien i can find, theres also some new show food out called UltraKibble, but its way expensive, I'm waiting to see if they lower the price, I read the ingredients, and OMG, that stuff has everyting you need, if all else fails read their ingredients and try giving your chickens that-

There are plenty of cat foods with no chicken; read labels; I always use cat foods with no chicken as I do not want my cats to develop a taste for the birds. However, do realize that chickens can and will eat other chickens...

Quote:
bow.gif

I called Cutlers and spoke with a patient, knowlegable woman who helped me choose the right size (Ameraucanas were not listed on the size chart). I got the bands in 1 day. she told me if they were not the right size a full exchange refund is available with no red tape or restrictions. Thanks for the referal to them.

Sure-thats how they were with us too-we love that place-anyone who ships that fast, is that educated, and garrantees everything to the last drop is completely worth it and deserve all the referalls they can handle!
tongue.png

Hope we keep this forum going its helped lots of people starting out or just to get ahead in the show rooms! I've learned alot but always learning new or better techniques for everything, so if anyone else has a 'thing' that works for them and is legal in the show room under the A.P.A. and A.B.A. please post it on here, have to say I picked up on the Vet RX for face and legs on here and man what a HUGE difference with no bad effects later on!!!! LOVE the herbal and safe products for poultry!!!!
wink.png

Quote:

There are plenty of cat foods with no chicken; read labels; I always use cat foods with no chicken as I do not want my cats to develop a taste for the birds. However, do realize that chickens can and will eat other chickens...

I am an obsessive label reader, and every cat food I have come across had chicken/chicken by products, even ones with fish as main ingredient, so I just gave up and went to what is more natural, (very diverse seed mix, and some crumbles specified for show birds), so what I want to ask is what cat food brand and type i guess do you use, and also what is the protien percentage on it, if its not very expensive I may add this back to my routine, though not having to use a food processor saves lots of time for me. Actually I have never had a cat develope a taste for any of my chickens, however the game birds, (exotic pheasants, etc.), do get the most attention from the cats at both mine and my friends house, but if this has ever happened with someone on here let us know please-predators are a big issue for alot of people in the hobby-more we know, more we can prevent from going badly!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom