Show Quality Booted Bantams *Update: Lots of Pics pg. 3*

Ok, sorry for the wait, here are some pics of my mille fleur booted bantams.

Any feedback on faults/strengths? I have an idea of my own, I just want to see if I'm on the right track.

Ok, here is dad. He has been culled from the flock due to side sprigs on his comb, but you can see where the two chicks I kept came form
smile.png

mf1.jpg

mf2.jpg

mf3.jpg

Here is the young roo that I kept.

mf4.jpg

mf5.jpg

mf6.jpg

mf7.jpg

Here is the young hen:

mf8.jpg

mf9.jpg

mf10.jpg

Urban Coyote

I think they are beautiful. However, if showing, I would be concerned with how much white is on this girl. Her tail should be all black with just the tips being white. They boys tail is better. The dad, in my opinion, is way too white all over. The boy's head has too much white. I am assuming these 2 are young, it looks as though the foot and leg feathing needs to grow in alot more. I like the young boy better than the girl but they both have very inconsistant color patterns. (too much in one area, not enough in another). The boys comb has 7 points, it should have 5.
I think they both stand nicely with their wings straight down and their backs seem to have the correct shape which is a 'U' shape. D'uccles should have the 'V'. They look nice and healthy.

Quote:
Agreed. There's not much to work with around here so I'll make due with what I have. I have had Mille Fleur Booted Bantams around the farm a while and find they get 'whiter' with age. Each molt the white spangles get a bit bigger which concerns me with the pullet as she's quite white from the get-go. Her sister was better in that regard but had more sparse foot feathering so I sold her.

I also find the roos comb on the small side, but at least the points are evenly spaced, sized and there are no side sprigs.

This springs chicks will be an interesting group. I hope to get some improvements. Either way they are pretty little birds.

Urban Coyote

Last edited:
Very nice birds......true a little too much white on the tail, but type looks very good....comb size is really good as most have too big a comb in both D`Uccle and Booted..I would personally like to see the wattles a little bigger, but that is just a nit-pick.....How old are they?? If the female is a pullet, she may have a little too much white, but next time...breed her to a young roo with much less color. I will try to post a better pic of my pair today...Booteds are very rare and very hard to find.....so you do have to work with what you have..I think your roo is gorgeous!!! Jane

Last edited:
Quote:
Both of these birds are late Spring hatch of this year. I will hatch a bunch of chicks form them and cull down to the best of what I get. I don't know of anyone who shows these guys competitively in my area so developing an eye for good birds is going to take a while. I think the backs could be shortened up a bit too. The dad also had a harsh break in the line of his back where his tail met....he was borderline squirrel tailed. The young roo is much better in that regard and I think will make a better breeder overall. Their foot feathering is in terrible shape right now due to them being free range, but the feathers are there and they are abundant and have good stiff quills on them. They would be impressive if I didn't allow them to run around in the dirt!

When I think of proper type for a booted bantam, this is the roo I like the look of:

72269955.0hWwl1lr.ndlsabelpootkriel01.jpg

Color is something I will have to work on as step #2.

Urban Coyote

very nice type.....what is his color?? looks almost lavander?? or Porcelean?? Maybe we can trade some birds this next year?? I will post a better photo in a little while of my Booteds..... Jane

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom