Show quality RIR?

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by elizabethjg, Jul 31, 2016.

1. elizabethjg

elizabethjg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2016
    Texas
    She's only 4 months old, but is she too light in color?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Your picture is not showing.

3. elizabethjg

Mar 27, 2016
    Texas

4. elizabethjg

Mar 27, 2016
    Texas
    [​IMG]
    y didn't do it at first.

5. waddles99

waddles99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    NJ
    Color isn't the only thing that defines a good quality RIR. Just because a bird is simply dark doesn't make is "show quality". The standard does call for rich, deep mahogany color but there is a lot more to it. Your bird is not particularly light in color, however I see a number of things wrong with your bird. First of all, her type is off. She should be more deep bodied and have a much more pronounced breast. RIR should have a "brick shape" to them, as they were originally developed to be dual purpose birds. Her comb looks like it has far too many points and they don't follow an even progression of size. Her legs look pale and washed out, almost white, they should be a bit more yellow. Her tail angle is too high, it looks like about 25 degrees when it should be more like 10 degrees. Her tail could also probably be a bit more full, also. Sorry she isn't show quality, she looks more like a production quality red to me. While I am sure she is a great pet and layer, she probably wont do anything for you in a show hall or in a breeding pen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by