show quality speckled sussex ??

Lovely egg!!

Love the SS, started with a few hatchery girls, they got us hooked and have found some better ones to work with.

Lisa, can you tell me the name of the wiring used in post 39? I kinda need more pens!

It looks like standard 2 x 4 welded wire. Here is a link to a roll of it at Tractor supply. http://www.tractorsupply.com/welded-wire-fencing/welded-wire-36-in-x-50-ft--3626512
You can find it at Home Depot, Lowes, and other hardware / home improvement stores. It comes in all kinds of widths" 36", 48", etc.

Also, I overlay it with chicken wire on the bottom couple of feet of the pens. I do that to keep predators from reaching right through the fence with tiny paws and grabbing my birds. I, also, overlay it with chicken wire to keep roosters outside or next to the fence from tangling with the ones inside the fence :)

It looks like standard 2 x 4 welded wire. Here is a link to a roll of it at Tractor supply. http://www.tractorsupply.com/welded-wire-fencing/welded-wire-36-in-x-50-ft--3626512
You can find it at Home Depot, Lowes, and other hardware / home improvement stores. It comes in all kinds of widths" 36", 48", etc.

Also, I overlay it with chicken wire on the bottom couple of feet of the pens. I do that to keep predators from reaching right through the fence with tiny paws and grabbing my birds. I, also, overlay it with chicken wire to keep roosters outside or next to the fence from tangling with the ones inside the fence :)
I just bought a 50' roll of 5' high 2" x 4" welded wire, galvanized, at Home Depot, in our town they were the cheapest at just under $1 per foot linearly (with tax about $46). I got it to enclose my new grow out pen. It isn't quite finished but my family saw that with my work schedule I would not have it finished for at least two more weeks and put up the wire for me and used a pen splitter (16' dog exercise pen) to make a temporary door. They even transfered the young birds for me yesterday!
Math ace - Do you use regular chicken wire on the bottom parts? I was checking out the job my family had done late last night when I got home and was suddenly worried about raccoons. I was thinking I would need finer mesh wire like 1" X 1/2" wire to put around the bottom two feet or so. I don't have worry about other roosters as they are all penned together at this point.
Will have to put up new photos as my SS will be 16 weeks next week. That means it is time to weigh them again! Just old enough to go to the County fair, also next week. I have entered two pullets and one cockerel. The other two pullets and one of the cockerels have less white so I'm thinking that they will be my breeding birds.

I've raised raccoons, and I know they could put their arms thru the chicken wire I use. So if you do have raccoons in your area, you maybe better off with rat wire.

My dogs are good deterents--they cant take the heat so like to be outside all day and all night. I hear them bark at night. BUt we have not seen a coon for 20 years. Probably coyotes and neighborhood dogs and deer set them off.

Back
Top Bottom