show quality speckled sussex ??

I got a hen from Walt Reichert and a cockerel/pullet from a local person, they were from Gary Overton eggs
I've also got chicks I've hatched from Reichert eggs, chicks from Old Orchard Bayshore 1982 imported line, skyline poultry eggs in the bator

So I think we'll have a real nice assortment to be able to cull from

I'v ejust finished reading this thread, and loved it. Thanks for the great information! My suxxex are from MurrayMcmurray and this year from Meyers, so not SQ but nice friendly birds. Sure hope to do better, in size especially! Mary

It was late last night, I was pretty tired, and apparently can't spell at all. I did wiegh my three hatchery hens. UGH! They were about 5 lbs. apiece... Nice birds, but way small! Need better chicks, at least next year. Way to hot to ship now. Anyone close to Lansing, Mich.? Mary

Looks like I found the active SS thread! I posted these pictures on another thread, then found you guys. I love my girl..she is so friendly, and very talkative. Do you guys find yours to be talkative?
She just started laying, I caught her out in the nest box, grabbed the camera, because she is mine, I personally think she is beautiful.
wink.png

Such a sweet face.

She decide to turn around and show me her best side. :)

Posting this on here as well as another thread. I'm confused. I thought she had been laying for a while, thought her egg was more of a brown, a pink brown..but when I went to take a picture of her egg after she got off, this is what I saw. Not what I expected! Will post a picture of what I thought was hers yesterday.

When I saw this, I literally said, what? Right out loud. lol..

The egg on the left is hers..the egg on the right is the one I thought she laid yesterday. I have a NH
that just started laying too, but her last one was pretty big. Guess not. See the pink hue to the SS egg?
Is this more the color of them, rather the one on the right? Thanks!

Lovely egg!!

Love the SS, started with a few hatchery girls, they got us hooked and have found some better ones to work with.

Lisa, can you tell me the name of the wiring used in post 39? I kinda need more pens!

One of the biggest and best Speckled Sussex cockrels at about 13 weeks of age. I have been weighing them every 4 weeks or so. Will do so again at 16 weeks. I have the sex on all but one. Seems to be a cockrel but the growth has been the slowest so I'm just kind of waiting. These are the ones from Tony Albritton. Will maybe have to get some better photos with leg band numbers when we weigh next time. Just wanted to give an update.

looking good mine are about 8 weeks and under... i hope they look as good as yours...
One of the biggest and best Speckled Sussex cockrels at about 13 weeks of age. I have been weighing them every 4 weeks or so. Will do so again at 16 weeks. I have the sex on all but one. Seems to be a cockrel but the growth has been the slowest so I'm just kind of waiting. These are the ones from Tony Albritton. Will maybe have to get some better photos with leg band numbers when we weigh next time. Just wanted to give an update.

It was late last night, I was pretty tired, and apparently can't spell at all. I did wiegh my three hatchery hens. UGH! They were about 5 lbs. apiece... Nice birds, but way small! Need better chicks, at least next year. Way to hot to ship now. Anyone close to Lansing, Mich.? Mary
Gary Overton is in Ohio. He judges and shows. He is the original Speckled Sussex man....
I've spoke to him on the phone before. I don't think he does email.

He would be your best bet for getting birds in your area that are BIGGER, like they should be according to the SOP.

Back
Top Bottom